Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Worms in Aquarium

Posted by karakitten (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 08 at 22:45

I've have these tiny little white worms that swim in the water with a flaggelating motion and that crawl onto the grass lids of my aquariums- i was under the impression that if i were to do many water changes they would go away- not the case! I seem to have many less in my goldfish tank (30 gallons) cause the goldfish eat them when they swim. in my pleco/bala tank (80 gallons) they are much more prevelant. How do I get rid of these? they seem harmless but they are all over the glass and not even wiping them off seems to help. Supposedly they are from too much food but I have tried cutting back on food. help if you can please...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Worms in Aquarium

Hi karakitten,
From your description, it sounds like you have planaria,a non-parasitic flatworm. They don't pose a threat to your fish. If you want to get rid of them for aesthetic reasons, you might try a snail removal product. Being invertebrates like snails, it should work. I had a tank overrun with so many snails I couldn't look through the glass and see my fish. Within 30 minutes of putting in the product, the snails were dropping to the bottom. All snails were dead after two days of treatment.
BTG

o
RE: White Worms in Aquarium

Some fish will eat them as well. Can you scrape them off with an algae scraper?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here