Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frozenmyst

I'm back with another betta question

FrozenMyst
18 years ago

Ok... so Kedri is pretty happy and I've had him for about a month now. Recently though, he has started to lose some color around the front. I'm a little worried. Maybe you lovely people out there have advice for my little fella? I want to take care of him the best I can. I appreciate the advice everyone!

Thanks,

~Holly & Kedri

Ps. I love him so much! He's so adorable! XD Thanks again.

Comments (7)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Try this link and see if anything is related to your problem. I dont see Neon Tetra Disease ( listed). May be tat bettas are not suseptible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Betta Diseases

• woeisme
    18 years ago

What type of set up do you have? bowl or filtered tank? Try not to overfeed and additon of salt as reccomended by the betta page is a good idea.

• Minaku
    18 years ago

Healthy Betta is a better betta resource than Betta Talk - some of the info there is outdated and some of it is just bad, like using Aquarisol for ich. It doesn't work. If a fish has ich, aquarium salt will work, or Rid Ich will (for a faster cure).

Here is a link that might be useful: Healthy Betta

• FrozenMyst
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm actually now noticing that he's losing some fin. My guess is fin rot. I need to go to the store and get medication for him. Any suggestions as to what to get? I appreciate any help. Thank you for the previous suggestions. It's a lot of help. Especially since I'm new to the betta experience.

My step-dad thinks it'd be ok to put a fish in distilled water, but I thought that they needed at least some bacteria to live... am I wrong??? o_O

• imaginators
    18 years ago

FrozenMyst,
    There are lot of medications out there for fish. Be sure you check the smytoms and facts of what medicine you should get. I hope your Betta's home is NO smaller then 1 gallon of water with filtration. Or is he swimming in his waste like so many Bettas end up? If he is, water changes are needed. I have heard of pros and cons of distilled water. I would get purifed water. You can get that at your local fish store or market. Or make your own...Aqua Pharmecutical Tap water purifer. You can find it on ebay or at Dr. Foster & Smith. I use it for my 10 gallon aquarium and Orchids. You need to get one of those cheap water test sticks to see what condition the water is. I thought I had bought purified water from the market and when I tested it is was no better then the tap water.
    Theresa

• FrozenMyst
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Theresa. I appreciate it. He's in a 1 gallon that has a filter. I'll look up more info on the symptoms on the net. Though I've searched a lot already. Thank you again. = 3

~Holly

• woeisme
    18 years ago

I read your post in the Horror thread, So sorry you had bad experience. Take what you've learned and apply it if you decide to get a replacement. If you have the space A 10 gallon with some low light plants java/african ferns or java moss isn't that expensive and will allow more room for error.Start the 10 gallon with the live plants until they start to grow good then add a new "freind". This is the easiest way to start. Or do a fishless cycle but that would require a test set (not a bad idea to have anyway). You will have a little more space for him and possibly some mates. The 1 gallon could serve as a hospital/isolation tank.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022