Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tylerknuthia

Guppy Fry and Question

TylerKnuthIA
18 years ago

One of my fancy tailed guppies has had its babies. The fry are in my 55 gallon tank and in there i have 2 silver dollars, one red tail shark, one bala shark, 7 guppies, 6 neons, 3 corys and one pleco. Will any of these fish eat the babies? and is my tank overcrowded? thanks

tyler

Comments (10)

• skygee
    18 years ago

I don't think your tank is overcrowded. But yes, you definitely will have natural selection working well in your tank. Don't expect that you can save every single guppy fish. You may not want to anyway (unless your intention is to breed fancy guppies) since then your tank could soon be overcrowded.

I would imagine the silver dollars will take care of slow swimming baby guppies. Adult guppies may also eat baby guppies, although not all will.

• glen3a
    18 years ago

In my aquarium I have quite a few artificial plants. Since December I have gone from 3 guppies to around 20. Every couple of months there seems to be liters being born, sometimes none survive, sometimes a few survive out of each liter. The bigger guppies (that is, the adults that are currently bigger) seem to give birth to bigger sized fry with more per liter than the small guppies.

Glen

• glen3a
    18 years ago

I suppose I meant to use the word "litter" and not "liter". Even then, I suppose a bunch of baby guppies technically isn't a litter. gaggle of fry?

• Minaku
    18 years ago

Personally, considering the sharks and the pleco all need a lot of space, I think your tank is overcrowded. Ridding yourself of either the pleco or the sharks will bring your bioload down.

A pleco can grow to be a foot or more, and they require 50 gallons to themselves. I know someone who has a 9 inch Oscar and a 13 inch pleco together in a 50 gallon tank, and it's overstocked.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

If you keep some cover for the fry they may survive. If they havent allready made a snack for someone.A flat aquarium safe rock (slate is a good chioce) proped up slightly will allow the fry to hide without being eaten. If you really want to brred some than a 5 or 10 gal tank with a sponge filter is the best choice. Cycle the tank then add the prgnant guppy until it gives birth, then remove her, Or scoop out the fry with a fry net and leave them there until big enough . The pleco and bal should be ok for a while until they get large as Min said. The sharks are also considered semi-aggressive. They may be OK nbut when they can fit your guppies into there mouth , they will.

• fish_lover
    17 years ago

I just got 2 guppies, 1 male and 1 female. When I got them home and put them into the 1 gallon aquarium that has some plastic plants and a small treasure chest, a couple of hours later I noticed that the female was giving birth! My first instinct was to put the fry in another aquarium so that the mother and the male wouldn't eat them. I put them into a 1.66 gallon aquarium with an under gravel filtration system. When I put the 5 guppy fry in the aquarium all but 1 swam down to take cover in the rocks the other stayed at the top rolling, the others were all acting fine and would come up occasionaly. This morning I found it dead (the 1 that had been on the top rolling). I can't find the others and I was wondering what you think happened to them. I can tell that the female is still gravid from the dark spot on her abdomen, and I was wondering what I could do differntly next time?

• omar_fishbreeder
    17 years ago

hi, i'm wondering. If i use that little container meant for the pregnant fish where she can lay her eggs and the eggs will slide down to the compartment under the female. but will the babaies be able to escape that space? and how long should they be in there? if say the female has done hatching and its been say 2 days and i let her out, can i still put another pregnant female in that? keeping the same baby guppies from before?

• fideo_navaja
    16 years ago

I have 56 or 57 healthy guppie fish, when do they need oxygen ? A filter or a hose, they are one and a half months old. I also just bought a female guppy 3 days ago, she just had 17 fry, most in good shape. What food brand should I buy for the newborns as well as the older ones ?
    Thanks, concerned guppie lover :)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

They could really use the filter / pump setup from the get go. Buy baby livebearer flake food and if you want to provide live food, you can hatch brine shrimp from eggs. Tetramin is a reliable brand of flake food.

• Tammy Streeter
    6 years ago

I have 2 sharks and a silver dollar I put 9 babie guppies in a 55 gallon tank they do not bother them been in there 2 weeks

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer