Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does my Pleco have dropsy?

Posted by shipfleeper (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 05 at 23:23

My Pleco, Abu, has ben developing a large belly lately, but it looks different to me than dropsy in a betta (which I have seen many a case of). The belly is much lower. He is growing quite rapidly all over, and has exceeded the size of my betta. He gets fed an algae pellet daily before bedtime, and nothing more other than the natural algae in the 2.5 gal tank. His only other tank mate is Jafar, my betta.

I am hoping this is not dropsy, as I have heard rumors that it is incurable and highly fatal. Any advice is welcome and sorely needed!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does my Pleco have dropsy?

• Posted by Minaku z6 Pittsburgh (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 10:33

Whatever it is, move him to another tank immediately. A pleco, even a small one, should never share space in a 2.5 gallon with another fish - there's just not enough water.

o
RE: Does my Pleco have dropsy?

Take minaku's advise. The betta alone in a 2.5 is enough. Plecos grow rapidly and need very large tanks. Exception is the smaller ones like "bristlenose plecos" they only get about 4.5". Sorry sounds like dropsy. Another possibility is just bloating from eating to much protien from the left over "meat" foods bettas eat. Usually Malawi Cichlids get this as thay are primarily vegetarians and get "bloated" from eating too much meat proteins if kept with carnivores. It is possible for other species to get this and it is deadly if not treated. Isolate the fish anyway for treatment. One distinct symtom of dropsy is protrudeing scales along with the bloat. The link below is kind of a PITA to navigate but has listed treatments.

Here is a link that might be useful: fishy farmacy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here