Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neons and Sharks

Posted by TylerKnuthIA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 0:30

All the fish in my fish aquarium right now can cope with being with a red tailed shark but i dont know if my neons can. I have 12 neons. Would the shark attack them? or what about a rainbow shark? Would either of these sharks work? Thanks

Tyler

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neons and Sharks

I would guess as long as you have cover(plants and decorations) the neons will "outrun" any shark attacks. If you dont have alot of plants plastic or real I would reccomend them. Neons like heavy planted tanks. The bigger fish rule always applies, If a fish is small enogh to fit in another fishes mouth, it just may end up there.

o

It always helps to know the tank size and decor specs, but in general it should work. Rainbow sharks are said to be more agressive than red tail and both can be fighters, but neither will get big enough to actualy attack the neons with intent to consume. I would recomend the red tail, and only one of them as they are overly agressive towards their own kind as they age. If your tank is under 30G theres no way any shark will work, but as long as there is enough rockwork/planting and enough space for the other fish to stay out of what will be a very strict territory everything will be fine.

o

My tank is a 55 gallon tank and my fish i have in it are 4 platies, 4 swordtails, 12 neons, 4 gouramis, 3 black phantom tetras, pleco, clown loach and cory cats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here