Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mesatalia

New Delta Betta swimming oddly

mesatalia
13 years ago

I received this male Delta Betta beauty only yesterday. I was worried he wouldn't survive as my first one died after having him only 12 hours....however this lil cutie did fine till today.

He displays his fins properly, which is a good sign, but he seems to attack his tank a lot. I noticed last night he didn't calm down much as they should do at night. Se seems to see stuff through his tank that he goes for, beit my cell phone or a pencil or any object, really. He'll swim up to the glass and hover very still there for me if I put my face close to him but he swims away at my finger by the glass. He attacks my cell phone and very specific objects.

So to see if he would calm down from distractions I put a towel around his home so he can't see anything but his rocks and plants, but then he began the strangest thing...

He curved his body into a right angle on one side, swam in a tight semi-circle, then did the same thing on the other side. Seeing his body at an angle like that is scary and my other (Siamese) betta has never done that before. It's almost like a fishy form of a child rocking itself back and forth with their knees drawn up. He has calmed down quite a bit, but even when I take the towel off I notice he swims with a slight kink once in a while and which side it kinks to changes from time to time...

He doesn't have fin rot, his gills seem normal, color is good, no gold except for his natural yellow-green-like sheen over his whole body (particularly on just his greenish-silver scales), no white spots, has a hard time eating pellets but I think that's because he was used to flakes at the store. I matched my water to be exactly like the store's water for easy home transition for him, even the same brand of stress coat. His fins display nicely so it doesn't seem like he's unhappy with something.

Anyone have any idea? I know it's not a defect unless there's such a thing as a double-jointed spine in a Delta Betta?