Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
90 gallon fish tank on kitchen countertop

Posted by naturedog (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 2:25

I am installing new kitchen cabinets and am making a desk area where I have left enough room for up to a 90 gallon fish tank. The desk will have a granite top and is supported by two 24" base cabinets. The tank would straddle over the unsupported area(where a chair would go) but would also overlap to the cabinet support areas.

I have been told by other hobbyists this might be a bad idea, but Im determined to make this work. I am thinking about reinforcing the floor and cabinets, but not even sure this is necessary.

Some of these fish stands in the stores look flimsier that my cabinets, so I wonder how they can support so much weight.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 90 gallon fish tank on kitchen countertop

Hi
Since water weighs over 8 pounds to the gallon plus the weight of the tank and gravel?? Since nothing is as important as the stand . and the most difficult to change once setup .I'd do some reinforcing..
Be sure to get it level in both directions shim the stand not the tank. and definitely use materials that won't absorb water. Save you tons of problems down the road. Those flimsy stands are exactly that. gary
Those flimsy stand you mention are exactly that lol.

o
RE: 90 gallon fish tank on kitchen countertop

If it's looks heavier than the stands it probably is, you should be ok. Granite sounds expensive since it will be mostly covered by the tank and can't be seen. Make sure its level. Also i would recommend real wood not a laminate. Water spill on it could cause swelling and rotting. Use regular wood, it should have a frame and poluurethane finish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here