Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new dark blue betta turning black

Posted by Ezzy1986 NSW Aust (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 4:25

HELP! I've already posted two messages and have only had these fish for less than a week! Maybe I'm just paranoid...
My new beautiful dark blue bettas head is turning black!! (or a blacky red) what could this be!?!?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new dark blue betta turning black

Is this the one that was put in the larger tank? Possibly just showing his true colors? Do you have filtration in the tank?

o

it's the one in the smaller bowl (soon to be upgraded, the end of this week at the latest)... he appears a lot more 'flighty' as well.... darting all over the place when i move him or put my hand near the bowl

o

they have florecent lighting in the pet stores, so your betta is just showing his true colors in different light-just like paint : ). As for him being flighty, My betta is hyper, too- nothing to worry about.

o

Keep a cover on it that allows air flow. Dont want it to jump out if something startles it. Frequent water changes with a dechlorinator like Prime by Seachem if you have city supplied water.

o

• Posted by Minaku z6 Pittsburgh (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 15, 05 at 9:33

Often the bettas in petstores are faded in color because of stress. What you see in the store is not the color you will get once the fish is in a good, spacious, warm home.

Don't worry - the color darkening or turning brighter is perfectly normal. Also, your fish will be jumpy for two weeks, give or take a week. Just leave him alone and let him adjust to his new home - it's a big change! In a couple of weeks he'll be curious and playful, and then you can be a crazy fish parent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here