Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying S.A. Cichlids

Posted by bernkay 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 08 at 9:47

I have a 55 gal. tank that I set up in March, cycled with 4 black tetras and added 3 Rams and 3 A.cacatuoides.
Recently they have started dying.
The symtoms are the same, full belly as if pregnant (1 was a male), no scales protruding and in a couple of days, they die.
I have hard water so I buy water at the local supermarket for water changes using 50/50.
I do a 15 gallon water change every 5 days and the water tests ideal.
Because I don't see scales protruding, I don't suspect Dropsy.
Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying S.A. Cichlids

what are you feeding these guys? internal blockage (constipation) can be responsible for bloat.

-ming

o
RE: Dying S.A. Cichlids

I started with Cichlid pellets but the tetras ate them faster than they could sink for the cichlids so I went to the local grocer and bought the only fish flakes they had, Goldfish flakes.
I assume that is good enough for them but I also feed them tubiflex worms which remain on the top of the water and they won't go all the way to the top. Ive seen one nibble on the algae wafer for the pleco too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here