Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another question about vacation

Posted by naturelover_MTL z5QC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 05 at 9:55

My family and I will be away for about 4 days. We have two small tanks in the house in my children's rooms (each tank is about 2.5 gallons). Both are power filtered and both have a couple of Danios and a small shrimp. All our little water friends are perfectly healthy, highly active and seemingly happy. My concern is during our departure is their feeding schedule. What are our options? Should I get someone to come in and feed them? Can they survive for four days without daily feeding? Should I add a slow-release feeder (not sure exactly what it's called)? Any advice would be really appreciated. I'm a total amateur in this area and would love some help so I don't worry about them while we're gone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another question about vacation

I keep tanks in my office. There are times when I've got a long weekend and my fish are absolutely fine after 3-4 days of no feeding. I will state, though, that I have small live plants growing in both these tanks (it's a pretty well lit office during the day, and I don't keep the lights on while I'm gone, either - plants do fine as well)

If you have someone handy to come in and feed, by all means, go ahead and do this. But in my opinion, the fish should do fine for four days without food.

o
RE: Another question about vacation

They should be fine for 4 days. The time release feeders (the white disolveing block type) have been reported to cause problems with water quality. If you have live plants then they deffinately will be fine. Avoid over feeding before going and when you come back. Stick to the normal ammounts as if you are home. When you gat back feed 1/2 the ammount as usual then an hour or so later feed the other 1/2.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here