Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Murderous Kribs

Posted by Treefrog_Calgary zone 3a/3b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 05 at 10:48

I have a 25 gallon planted tank. It has mainly African plants and plenty of wood (Malaysian bogwood and African Mopane) as well as floating plants. Filtration system works great, pH is low and every one is happy; everyone but the poor belly up fish that is.

Theres a male/female pair of African Butterfly Fish, a pair of upside-down catfish, a breeding pair of Pelvicachromis pulcher plus a little female, and four Yellow tail Congo Tetras. The cichlid pair has a cave in which they attempt to spawn (they are new to this). They are fairly aggressive which I expected but theyve already killed three of my female Yellow Tails.

I plan on keeping the tank as an African biotope so I was wondering if anybody has any experience with any other West African fish that would put up with the breeding kribs. The Yellow Tails arent very tough and I fear they wont last very long. All the other fish in the tank seem to be getting along. The smaller female krib kind of helps distribute the aggression but Im not sure if she can stay too long as the tank isnt very big.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. While Im at it does anybody know of an algae eater for a West African biotope aquarium?

Cheers
Rodrigo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Murderous Kribs

I think Kribs are known to get very aggressive when reaching the breeding age until they figure out pecking order(tank dominance) I have read at this stage some have to be isolated from the community tank(in some cases).Maybe even a flow thru type divider. Allthough Oto cats are from S.America and not in the bio-tope, they do a great job in plantted tanks.Maybe try www.cichlid-forum.com or www.thekrib.com or more specialized advice along with members here who are familiar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here