Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat_lindquist

Black Ghost Knife--feeding advice needed

Kat_Lindquist
18 years ago

I've been looking into the care and feeding for our new addition to our 28 gallon tank. He's almost 3" long, and we know that eventually we will need to get a bigger tank, but this one will do quite nicely for awhile. We also have in the tank a pleco, rosy barb, leopard danio, neon tetra (we found out about BGK's taste for them after we already got him, so hopefully he makes it), a swordtail molly, an algae eater, a black-skirt tetra, and a black mystery snail. We know that our BGK will eat the frozen bloodworms (so will our rosy). What I need to know is how often should I put a cube in the tank? Once a day? Once every other day? We obviously don't want to over-feed him (or the other fish either). I put one in the tank last night (when we got him)and I know he at least ate a good portion of it, but I am certain that even though the pile left at the bottom of the tank was gone by morning, not all of it was eaten by him.

Any advice? Our other fish go for flake, the sinking pellets, and the algae discs. Will the BGF go for those too?

Thanks in advance

Comments (7)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Only thing that concerns me is some of the tank mates. The barb is semi-aggresive and can get really nippy(may harass the BGK) the tetras/danio are schooling fish and do best in groups of at least 8. The algae eater unless true SAE gets very aggresive as it gets bigger(a problem for all mates). The pleco,unless dwarf, grows rapidly and may crowd the tank at full size. This link might help with you feeding ???'s

Here is a link that might be useful: BGK profile and reveiw

• james_ny
    18 years ago

I've had other knife fish and they didn't eat flakes. Their favorite was live tubifex worms but they would take some frozen foods. Other fish usually don't bother knife fish, in fact the knife may eat some smaller fishes.

• Kat_Lindquist
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The barb checked him out but has left him alone. I know now that danios and tetras are school fish, but the danio, both tetras, and the barb tend to travel in a group. So far (and I've had the algae eater for 6 months-he's just shy length-wise of the knife), the algae eater doesn't mess with anyone now that I've got the betta on his own elsewhere. He occasionally sucks on the snail's shell, but that's about it. The pleco isn't a dwarf, but there's a pet-store nearby that buys the biggins to sell to people with massive tanks that need a big one, so if the pleco gets too big, he's got a home. But everyone seems to be getting along well.

I've just picked up some frozen brine shrimp to supplement the bloodworms, When he gets bigger, I'll start breeding guppies (since I've hearf that knife fish eat those...and keeping your own instead of buying questionable feeders is much better). I've also read that they like an occasional earthworm. Is it better to dig them up or to buy them at a bait shop (less likely involvement with chemicals, etc.)?

• woeisme
    18 years ago

I would assume that the dug ones are fine. Careful of overfeeding with live foods. Too much leftovers may produce a worm growth of its own. Then again the knife would snack on those to. Breeding your own feeders is an excellent idea. Research breeding and set up a small fry tank with a sponge filter so the adult guppies dont eat them before they get big.

• isis_nebthet
    18 years ago

Just start a worm bed with some red wigglers (link below). Try to get him onto sinking carnivore pellets if he will take them. Go easy on the feeders only using them as suplements some ghost shrimp would probably work out well too. Young knife fish can be touchy make sure you raise him on a varied diet starting young and hopefully he will accept it as an adult.

I have two clown knives but they were fed feeders all their lives....they will only eat feeders now and take about 100 rosy reds a week. The varied diet is important so they don't get stuck in a rut and refuse other foods.

Adrea

Here is a link that might be useful: worm mans worm farm

• Nickie2012
    11 years ago

I recently got a Black Ghost Knife and was curious if anyone knows if you can put more than 1 knife(either the same kind or a different one) in with him.

• james_ny
    11 years ago

not sure but i doubt if 2 would get along. I've seen them in groups in store tanks and they usually have nipped tails.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?