Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasfern

Plants for Betta Bowls

texasfern
14 years ago

Hello all.

I have two beautiful boys in large vases.

I am a crafter and am making stands for the vases and I want to put live plants in the tops.

I have shopped the pet stores and they are sooooo expensive.

As I am not totally ignorant of plants it seems that there are simple plants I can use but I want to be sure.

Any suggestions as to what will be the best to use?

Comments (3)

• danif
    14 years ago

i suggest removing ur betta fish from these vases they are tropical fish so need aeriated water (an airstone) and a filter and thermostat (mine is set to 27 C). without this they may survive but it is no kind of life for your poor fishes! and with bettas decoration would be best kept to silk flowers as they dont rip the betta fins and aquarium sand and smooth rocks

• pondcrazy
    14 years ago

bettas don't need an airstone, they are surface breathers and prefer still water, which is their natural habitat. i have underwater plants in with mine, (i have 11 right now) all which don't need strong light. i don't recommend using the type of plants that grow out of the top of the water as this cuts don't the amount of surface area for your betta to breathe from. i use java ferns, anubias, and banana lilies in my bowls, which most are 1 gallon. (i do use smaller bowls for injured or not quite "up to par" fish and then move them into larger bowls when they get feeling better.) i have also found that the water doesn't need to be changed as often when you use these plants as they use up the waste from the fish and the water stays nice and clean.

• texasfern
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much.

Sponsored