Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grice_gw

My betta has become listless

grice
18 years ago

This is one of my most active fish.

I have had him since May/June and he is usually always swimming and exploring his tank(5 gallon). He eats well and has always seemed healthy.

Friday morning I noticed that he was in a corner of his tank at the bottom and has been there ever since. He is kept in my bedroom where the a/c is turned on at night when the weather dictates. I thought he may have become too chilly,though the thermomitor always read 76,so I turned his heater on to warm the water. He did seem to respond to that change. He swam a bit and finally stayed at the top of the tank for awhile before finally retreating to his cave which is where he has been all night as well as today.

What's wrong here? Is my poor fish dying or is he just 'resting'?

Thanks for any advice.

Grice

Comments (6)

• Ezzy1986
    18 years ago

Hi, I'm only a new owner but have done lots of reading etc. It seems to be a trend add some salt (not table salt) to the water to perk up the fish. Try this if you aren't already.
    Hope I helped

• woeisme
    18 years ago

I am assumeing all water parameters are in check. Is the thermometer a glass one or stick on? Stick on some times are not acurate. Worse case is a bacterial infection. Any other symptoms? Fadeing color? Swollen belly? Protrudeing scales? Could just be a temp thing. Keep your heater on all the time. It should only kick on when it needs to unless its the kind without a thermostat.Use the link below to help further diagnoses.Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: This sound familiar

• grice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ezzy,I added salt when I turned the heater on and Bailey(that's his name)seemed to perk up some. At least he is comming up to the surface once in awhile.
    Woe,the thermometer is a glass one submersed in the water. His color has not changed and he does not seem to have any other symptoms.
    As for the heater,its once of the preset ones til I can buy a better one. Though I do have the heaters with therm. control in my other tanks. Should I take one out of the other tanks and add it to the tank with the listless fish?
    Thanks to you both.
    Grice

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Well you said the temp. is a constant 76F. If the heater is preset to 76F just leave it on. Maybe at night the temp. might drop in the tank. I just got a betta last week. My gourami died and I figured this was a good chance to add one to the main tank.The gourami was the "center" fish. This guy will make a good substitue. Hopefully he likes the others. I have him in QT for a month before I will add him. I lost the gourami to a bacterial infection I think. It could have been constipation. I was away for the weekend and when I came home and fed them he may have consumed too much flake food. I have to vary the diet more I guess. I just got lazy and only fed flake. 2 neon tetras also are bloated w/protrudeing scales. I still have them in QT and treated them with maracyn2 and pepso food as directed. They dont seem any better but they are no worse except for the bloat thing. Fish disease is hard to diagnose ( some symptoms are similar) and not all respond to the medications. If you dont allready have, add some live plants. Easy ones like Java fern and float a "bunch" of anacharis. Mine seems to love the plants.Maybe the new scenery might get him to explore.

• Minaku
    18 years ago

76 is a little low; 78-80 is best.

How old is your fish? If you didn't get him from a petstore, his time may be coming. Otherwise, keep an eye on him to see if there are any sores or fuzzy areas developing. He may just be going through a depressed period.

• grice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Woe,sorry about your lost fish. Hopefully the new betta will get along with the others. Hope the other fish recovery nicely.
    Hi there Minaku. I got the fish from a petstore only this past June. He was swimming day and night til I posted this. Perhaps he finally got tired.Lol. No sores or fuzzy spots. Thankfully he has started to act more like his old self(swimming,eating,etc)though still not back to his old rotuine yet.
    Thanks for the input.
    Grice

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!