Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dalmation Mollies

Posted by NitaNow Oklahoma (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 12:41

I know that mollies are livebearers, so I am REALLY confused as to why, after removing the male of the group, from the tank one of my females showed signs of being pregnant. While I was researching, I found that they can save the semen for quite a while (he was only taken out about a week previously) but she never had her fry. She seemed to explode, literally. There was an egg sack extending from her very large abdomen, but it looks like the fry never really developed. Is this possibly caused because I removed him after she was ready to recieve the sperm but didn't have access to it or is this some really strange virus/disease that I haven't seen before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dalmation Mollies

Is she still big? It does look alarming when they're pregnant - and like they're about to explode. Before birth, they're abdomen will look squarish - then babies are born!

Lots of things can go wrong with pregnancies. So no, it has nothing to do with your removing the male. Babies develop in the abdomen because the eggs have already been fertlized by the sperm. If not, there would have been no developing babies and no fattening mom.

o
RE: Dalmation Mollies

Hi,

If your molly is stressed she will sometimes drop eggs that are not developed or not fully developed. If the eggs look like they are close to being fully developed..sometimes the development will continue and they will hatch like egg laying fish. If the development isn't that far along.....they will just fungus so its best to remove from your tank. This happens sometimes with livebearers...so no it is not a virus/disease.

There are many things that can cause stress and for this to happen. Moving the fish itself, or maybe water conditions. You mentioned removing the male...perhaps this caused stress to the female...if she was chased around the tank at that time. This also sometimes happens if its her first batch of fry.

And yes the female can have several batches of fry after the male has been removed. Perhaps her next batch of fry will be more successful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here