Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Several problems!!

Posted by aj300 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 13:15

My Aquarium is:

- a 40 gallon freshwater fish tank running for 8 months now with no major problems, until now.

- Has 7 cardinals, 2 clown loaches, 3 female platys, 2 male platys, 1 three month old baby platy, and 8 one month old baby platy's (in a breeder container, but in the same tank 40 gallon tank). None of them are new, or recently added. They have lived in the tank for at least 6 months.

- has live plants and rocks

- the temperature fluctuates between 80F and 85F degrees. We have a tiny a/c window unit that (when all the windows and doors are blocked off) barely manages to keep the room at that level on a scorching day.

- The pH is high. But the rest of the water levels are 0 or normal.

- We do a 30% water change every 2 weeks.

The problems are:

- the 2 rocks we have appear to be growing black algea?? Should I just remove the rocks?

- We've lost 2 male platys. The most recent (2 days ago) was "sick" for about 2 weeks. He started off swimming a little sideways and we thought it was a digestive bubble and moved him to our Quarantine Tank; with aquarium salt, and treatment for 5 days with the Safeguard tablets (just in case), and only fed him live food every other day. His swimming and equilibrium problems progressively got worse and then his fins clamped shut and eventually he stopped swimming and died. The other one died about 2 months ago with similar behavior, except we didn't quarantine him or treat him. We're not sure what was wrong with him? It wasn't Ich, we've seen and treated that before.

- Now in the main tank, 2 of our other platy's appear to be losing scales! And one of the platy's that is losing a scale (a female) has a dark mark (possible an ulcer, or scratch) right before her tail fin, and I'm concerned about it.

- Also, one of our loaches has almost no fins (the other one is completely healthy). He has his side fins and his tail fins, but the rest have been bitten off by the other loach. I'm concerned about him and infection and he looks paler in color than the other loach. Should I be concerned?

There are so many things going on, and having just lost another fish - I'm concerned there's some bacterial or fungal problem in the main tank. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Several problems!!

Well you shouldn't have kept those fish in a breeder trap but released them into the tank.I would suspect that your loach will get an infection unless you keep the water clean.I change water in all my tanks once a week.The black you are seeing on the rock might be BBA.What is your WPG?Whats your fert schedule and co2 levels?Once i have answers to these questions i can further help you.Oh and to help keep the tank cool freeze some water bottles with tank water and float them in the aquarium to help lower the tank.80* should be just about right

o
RE: Several problems!!

My first guess on the Clown with the missing fins would be a bacterial infection, not attacks from the other Clown. But water changing only every other week may be the real cause of your problems.

The best means of mantaining a healthy tank is frequent water changes, the more frequent the better. If you think about the total, a 10% change daily is better than a 50% weekly. Or, a 25% change 2 X wk, is still better than 50% 1 x week, because the fish are swimming in their toilets and toilets need to be flushed after every use.

That's why breeders with many tanks eventually go to flow through systems with automatic drain-outs & refills, as it allows the "toilets" to flush on a continual basis, just as it does in nature.

As for cooling down the water: A bag of ice cubes made from fresh conditioned water is always handy to have around when the ambient air gets hotter than the desired tank temp. Or, fill a bunch of small heavy weight zip bags and stack them in the freezer until you need them. Just open the bag and set it in the tank and as it melts, the ice will slip out, melt and add some fresh water to the tank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here