Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meghan2_gw

I really need some advice.....

meghan2
16 years ago

Hey guys...I've heard that Prime is the best...so I used that to reduce the Ammonia....I used it three days ago and it kept the ammonia below 0.5...today it is about 0.75...should I add some more to the water....Basically my question is how often can I add it...only during water changes...or regularly when I need it....and can I add more than the recommended when I use it everyday...any harm to the fish? Please let me know....I hate doing water changes every 3 to 4 days...

Also, the Prime has reduced my ph level quite a bit. Is that normal? I should be going to the next level, but my ammonia is not converting to nitrite or nitrate...they are both at 0. This could be because I am changing the water too often...but I just don't want any harm to the fish due to the ammonia...

Please help...I'm really confused...Thank you in advance!!

Comments (4)

• milwdave
    16 years ago

Hi meghan,

I was going to answer your previous post but delayed in the hope that someone with knowledge of this product would respond. Since no one has, I guess I'll spout off for a bit.

A level of ammonia is necessary in cycling your tank. I assume this is a marine tank. But there are some questions.

What type of tank are you setting up? Undergravel filter? Deep sandbed? Plenum system?

Have you used anything to help establish your substrate's ability to process Ammonia/nitrates? Have you added Live Rock? or maybe some live sand, either commercial or from a healthy tank?

What type of fish do you have? Are they hardy starter fish or more delicate species? Are you intending to keep coral in your system? And have you noticed any abnormal behavior at this Ammonia level?

In short I would use this product when needed...or more importantly when it is really NEEDED. If I noticed any adverse behavior from the fish, I would use it. But not just because of a higher level of Ammonia. Your fish will let you know...just watch them closely and continue to monitor the Ammonia level. But also do anything you can to help establish your Nitrogen Cycles. Sorry I could not be of more help. I could only tell you what I would do. I hope someone with more experience with this product will respond.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• meghan2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Dave, yes one fish is just sitting/hanging at a corner on the bottom...this has never happened before...so I did add some PRIME to reduce the levels....if that doesn't work..I'm gonna do a 50% water change.

• meghan2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops I forgot to give you the answers..I have 2 goldfish and 1 algae eater...they have been doing fine...all of a sudden the small one is acting weird...anyway I have gravel, a stone and two artificial plants ...that is all...I don't know what can help my tank cycle...please advice

• james_ny
    16 years ago

Water changes are the best way to lower ammonia. How long has the tank been running? The cycle can take a month or more. Don't add any more fish until you get past this. It's common to loose fish during a cycle thats why you start with hardy and cheap fish. Have patience and good luck. Your nitrite will rise towards the end of the cycle.