Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Prime by seachem

Posted by meghan2 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 17:10

Hey guys...I've heard that Prime is the best...so I used that to reduce the Ammonia....I used it three days ago and it kept the ammonia below 0.5...today it is about 0.75...should I add some more to the water....Basically my question is how often can I add it...only during water changes...or regularly when I need it....and can I add more than the recommended when I use it everyday...any harm to the fish? Please let me know....I hate doing water changes every 3 to 4 days...

Also, the Prime has reduced my ph level quite a bit. Is that normal? I should be going to the next level, but my ammonia is not converting to nitrite or nitrate...they are both at 0. This could be because I am changing the water too often...but I just don't want any harm to the fish due to the ammonia...

Please help...I'm really confused...Thank you in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Prime by seachem

I would wait until your ammonia level is nearer to 1.0ppm ( just don't let it exceed 1.0ppm for a long period of time) but doing a PWC(partial water change)when it gets to .75ppm is OK. I would use new water that is conditioned with Prime rather then adding it to the tank directly. It is safe to add it directly, and to double dose if neccessary. You can use up to 5 times the dose needed if the levels are becoming toxic. The reason why it takes longer in your case is because you are monitoring the ammonia. The trick is to maintain the ammonia under 1.0ppm, but don't remove all of it. Prime only detoxifies ammonia, the PWCs remove it. You want traceable ammonia at this point until nitrites are detectable and ammonia is not detectable without doing any PWCs. The hard part is you need the ammonia because it is the bacterias food source. No food source, no bacteria. This takes alot longer then if you didn't let the ammonia build, but it is better then sick or dead fish? Most people new to the hobby do not want to deal with sick or dead fish. If it doesn't bother you replacing them if they die or get ill, then let the ammonia build until nature does it's job and the first stage of bacteria grow. It will be quicker this way for sure. Prime shouldn't lower pH, but if it does, use a dash (1/8 tsp) of baking soda and check pH after 2 hours, repeat until pH is above 6.6ppm pH. If it doesn't dive below 6.6 that is fine. Lower pH water with ammonia is actually less toxic then water that has a higher pH. Here is a link to Seachems website and article about Prime.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prime

o
RE: Question about Prime by seachem

I know what you are saying, but I don't want the fish to be harmed. At least, I want to do all I can to save them. I know that the process will take longer this way, but ....thanks...the article was very helpful...I have posted other messages with different info.....please advice..thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here