Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todancewithwolves

Help with Mudskippers

todancewithwolves
15 years ago

Anyone have experience raising Mudskippers?

I'm getting 2 and I want to be sure and set up a good

environment for them. There's not much literature out

there and little on-line info.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

• botanical_bill
    15 years ago

There is alot out there, they are amphibious, you will need half land half water aquarium. It sounds that they like to hide in sea weed and plants, so plant heavy.

Thats my 2c, anyone else?!

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    What a coincidence!! lol About a month ago my 150 tank developed a leak .Since I can't keep it full of water I thought about Mudskippers. Have never kept them and have little knowledge about them. Seem native to the Mangrove swamps of SE ASia. Wondered if there is a counterpart to the Mangrove swamps of Florida??
    Do you know the latin name of the species you have??
    gary

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will recieve them on Friday. No idea what kind of Gobies they are, yet. I will post pictures.

I was hoping to gather personal experience on rearing them.

This is what I have found out:

The tank should be filled half way with brackish water (brackish water is a mix of seawater and freshwater). Usually one part seawater to two parts freshwater is fine for them (using a synthetic sea salt mix, use one third the advised amount per gallon of water).

Would-be mudskipper owners also need a good filter (a canister filter is advised) as well as a tight fitting cover (being able to walk makes 'skippers GREAT escape artists!). Fine oolitic aragonite sand is perfect as a substrate as it buffers the water and provides a smooth bottom for the fish to walk on. Driftwood, rockwork, etc., some of which should be sticking above the water's surface, should then be added.

A 50 gallon tank (36" x 18" ) is ideal to house a trio of 'skippers that large ('skippers can be territorial, and should not be crowded. One male to two females is advised). Water Temperature 77 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Was hoping that SW was an option lol, That much salt would sure cut down the choice of plants. I keep the 150 in the shadehouse where I keep a lot of plants .Guess I'd better stick with FW species Thanks gary

• james_ny
    15 years ago

I've raised mudskippers in my 130gal freshwater pond. There cool but when i handfeed them they always bite. I feed mine pieces of scallops, he also likes live tubifex worms. I'll post some pics. One thing is there very terratorial. One may be best.

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd love to see pictures, James NY.

I have mine and they're already set up nicely and seem happy. So far they love small crickets and I feed them a supplement small fish pellets.

Here they are. Any idea what species they may be?
    {{gwi:378340}}

{{gwi:378341}}

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

Great pictures!

• james_ny
    15 years ago

Forget the species but i have the same one. A good pet shop guy [Dominic at Fish+] told me these were from Africa and didn't need salt, which has been my experience.
    {{gwi:378342}}

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the picture. Looks like you have a happy mudskipper. I really like how you created a great enviroment from him/her.

• james_ny
    15 years ago

Here's a better pic of his home, also houses many tripicals and way too many guppies. Wish i knew his/her sex i would like to try to breed them. Whenever i've had more than one the dominate one harresses the other so much they won't eat. Funny part is in 10gal tank in store they were ok together.
    {{gwi:378343}}

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! Lucky little Mudskipper!

I think I have to rehome one of mine. They mostly stay under water and haven't eaten in 4 days.

Edna

• james_ny
    15 years ago

That sounds bad, mine will eat every day. He loves uncooked scallops. I just hold a small piece in my fingers and he bites it [and my finger]. He also seems to spend most of the time out of the water, sometimes half in, half out. Wonder if yours would eat feeder guppies? I guess in the wild they eat anything small they can catch. Good luck.

• andycl
    14 years ago

i know im a bit late but i was reading this and the pics of the mudskippers are not african mudskipers but they are five spotted ms there just about the same but 2 in smaller

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County