Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wild water lilie is growing

Posted by jrc356 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 18:07

can any one tell me if this wild Lillie which has already started growing is either just as good or better than other plants in the aquarium if it continues to thrive i leached it out in regular tap water for two days pruned off the dead leaves and planted it and the Lillie root sprouted knew stems and in 3 days it reached the top of the water

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wild water lilie is growing

this is the one that has reached the top

o

Hi
The main problem with lillies is size and light needs. in an aquarium. Even the dwarf tpes get 5/6 inches in diameter. There are some super dwarf african types that stay under 3 incehes. The leaves MUST float so block light to other plants You can prolong this by snipping the floating pads but eventually outgrow even large tanks.
They certainly will grow though some will even flower.
gary

o

Might block out light to your other plants. I have a few Nymphaea Stellata 'red' in my tank and I have 5 pads at the surface. the biggest one is about 4" long and 3" wide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here