Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fish not swimming

Posted by cait_0523 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 20:45

I know there are many issues of fish not swimming, but I can't find anything related to my situation.

I bought 3 celestial danios a few weeks ago. One died, so now I just have the two (1 female, 1 male).

In additional to them, I have a coolie loach, 6 shrimp (red fire/yellow), 2 fan shrimp, an albino algae eater, and 3 other fish (similar to neons/cadinals) I also have plenty of real plants in the tank.

The tank is a microtank (about 8 gallons) and was really well balanced, and the water rarely needed to be changed.

Okay, now all that info is out of the way, 1 of the danios has recently started to stay in only one spot of the tank. She sits at the top right corner of the tank and stares out of the tank at a wall. She swims fine when chased, she eats, she's up right, but still stays in the one spot. This has been going on ever since the other danio died. Also, since the 1 danio died, the male chases the female around whenever he gets near her.

Any ideas of what is going on? It took me over a year to find these fish and I'm concerned about losing them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fish not swimming

What beautiful fish! I can well understand your apprehension over losing any of them but it may have been a question of male rivalry that did the one in!! The males are very aggressive and these types of fish need plenty of space with heavy planting to flourish. Please check the link below for an image and important information on their care. Good luck and defintely recommend getting a much larger tank (15 gallon minimum).

Here is a link that might be useful: Danio margaritatus

o

They are schooling fish by nature danios and I think perhaps just having two of them (especially male and female) the male is trying to take over the tank and this leads the female to believe she has to stay in a corner all the time. Id advise to get more danios so they can school together and the behavior should stop.

o

To many fish,1 fish per gallon.
Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here