Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
light bulbs

Posted by Zozzl z9 FL (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 22:54

I have an aquarium I am using to grow marginal water plants, so there is only about 3 inches of water in it. I am wondering if anyone could recommend a grow light bulb that really improves plant growth. It would have to be one of the short bulbs that screws in and under 25 watts. Currently I am trying an Aqua Glo but is there some in the size I need that would work better? Thanks! Pat M.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: light bulbs

If you shop Walmart get the "Daylight" by "Lights of America". They are in the regular lightbulb aisle. To make sure on the base by the screw part it will say 6500K. This stands for Kelvin Degrees which is the colors of the spectrum that are emitted. They have high red/orange and blue/violet colors. The green/yellow colors on the "soft white" and "cool white" are almost usless for plants. Theese are compact fluorescent type, the spiral looking kind. They come in 2-packs from 15-35 watt Fluorescent for about $8 or individualy for about $5. In the Aquarium aisle they have 10 watt 6500K the same type but are about$7 each. I do a lot of DIY projects for aquarium and gardening, I do not work for Wally world. LOL. If you'd rather go to Home Depot or Lowes I can direct you to the correct aisle but you will pay double. Also "lights of america" are made in the good old USA. I have used these bulbs for aquatic plants as well as starting seeds indoors during the winter.

o

Thank you very much! Pat M.

o

• Posted by EDHall z5 nwlowerMI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 10:02

woeisme give out great information on the bulbs, but have you thought about changeing your fixture to a floresent tube? This will give you a more even light through out your tank. Just a thought

o

Yes, I also use phillips brand, "daylight deluxe" from Home Depot, 2- 40w 6500K 48" tubes $7. 20w 6500K 24" about $6 per. I also use a reflector on the topside of the bulbs and the sides of the canopy, well allaround actually, so no light is wasted. This can be done with aluminum foil, mirrors, shiny foil duct tape or a commercial relector meant for the purpose. The DIY ones are just to save cash. Screw in sockets vs. ballasts. I even have shoplights 48" over 5-10 gal. plant only tanks. LOL thanks for the suggestion though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here