Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prc66

Have purchased a new 55g tank...

prc66
16 years ago

I was raised with African Cichlids most of my childhood (my aunt owned a fish shop). But once I became an adult, I didn't have the time for a tank(s).

Now my DH and I have decided to get a tank and raise Cichlids again. My question is this, since it's been a while. What Cichlids would the experts suggest, and what quantity should I get for that size tank? I don't want over-aggresiveness and fighting. But I just love the personalities of the Africans.

Suggestions please. The tank is cycling now, and should be ready in a few days.

Your help is appreciated!

Patty

Comments (6)

• mapheoo
    16 years ago

i would stick with africans. there are really cool south american cichlids out there, but i really like africans myself. I dont know if you want to breed them or just keep them but i would start small either way. you could get two males and one female(only one female becuase jealous females may eat the fry if some do spawn). Or you could start with one or two pairs. however if tank is set up right you could successfully breed 3 or even more pairs of africans in a 55G. if you want a lot of happy little africans try using a very fine substrate. i use power blasting sand(from home depot or lowes).Sometimes i will mix sand and freshwater live sand just to kick off a new tank,but usually livesand isnt required. you would be amazed how much afrians love to play in the sand.(sand also increases chance of spawning).The sand is also good for your entertainment, becuase most Africans burrow a lot and just dig through the sand with there mouths. :) Another important thing is that there is lots of stuff in your tank. like maybe plants caves rocks driftwood or whatever. what you want to do is create little secluded areas in the tank that your fish can make into there own little areas. Mainly just so they don't have to feel like they are crowded. i like to build little structures out of rocks and wood or whatever. But eventually you should notice them claiming there own little territories. i love my cichlid tank :)

• woeisme
    16 years ago

This is about the best advise you can get. Lots of articles and pictures. There are also some excellent international sites if you are interested. Follow the link. Just watch for adult size, sex is a consideration, may want to stick to males only unless you have room for expaansion. Personally, I like a good mix of color of the Mbunas with white sand bottom as well as white to light colored tan rockage. There is "recipes" for every cichlid for beginers per size tank and compatibility. The best advise I can give you is do the fishless cycle with ammonia (the no-frills kind with no aditives like soap or scents). This will save you alot of headaches, even though it is a longer wait for stocking fish (about 4weeks, unless you know someone with an established aquarium) it goes so much smoother in the end. Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Cichlid-Forum.com

• woeisme
    16 years ago

Here is a quicker link to the cookie cutter suggestions for stocking your tank. Actually Haps are nice too, like the fins and color.

Here is a link that might be useful: cichlid-forum 55G suggestions for stocking

• prc66
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice and links. I had forgotten that I was a member of the cichlid-forum, and should have posted over there as well.
    I am still having a hard time deciding what I want for fish. I would love to have some frontosas, but the tank size is too small for them? Has anyone tried raising frontosas in a tank this size? I could have swore that my aunt did it all the time, but I was a kid and could be remembering incorrectly.
    Patty

• woeisme
    16 years ago

It would be OK to start juvenilles in there if you are prepared to get a larger tank one day. They do get up to 11"-12" as adults. If you keep them in a 55G only get a few.They are Lake Tanganyika (Tangs). A 125G is only about 2' longer then the 55G. If you have the room, get some juvy's and start saving for the bigger set up. You can get a good quality used 125G or larger for anywhere from $100 - $200. Deppends on luck. You can use the 55 for fry, sell them to a LFS to cut your losses a bit.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Personally, I liked raising / breeding Black Convicts and Jewel Cichlids. And Rainbow Cichlids are also fun. Rams / Dwarf Cichlids are nice, too,

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz