Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uninformed_kitty

Need fish ID

uninformed_kitty
17 years ago

Yesterday, I went in to pick out a sparkling gourami which the LFS had ordered for me. I was shocked at how different they looked from online, but they were still cute, and I figured that it probably just takes a healthy diet and good lighting to bring out their color. Well, earlier today, I suddenly remembered that sparklers are supposed to have a horizontal stripe with spots above it, and this little guy or gal has the beginnings of blue and red bars. I could almost kill myself for not remembering that fact before. I guess I was too excited. It's not too bad because I've fallen in love with it anyway, but I'm worried about whether or not I can care for it. I *think* it's a paradise fish, so the first thing I need to know is whether or not you agree.

{{gwi:378599}}

Please excuse the mis-matched decor. It's only a quarantine tank, so got the cheapest stuff to make the fish feel comfy. Strangely, I'm beginning to think those colors look good together.

Second, I need to know what size tank it needs. I've read conflicting information, some sites saying 5 gallons and others saying 20. I have a 10g it could go in, except that I've read they're likely to eat any other fish, and I'd rather spare my otto and shrimp that fate. It's currently in a quarantine "tank" (Sterlite container) that's somewhere between 4 and 5 gallons. We'll call it 4 to be safe. I'm not sure if I could find something else to provide larger housing, but if someone could tell me the minimum space it needs, I'll see what I can do. I could just return the fish, but I'd really like to keep it, if I can.

Also, if it is a paradise fish, is it true that it won't need a heater so long as it stays above 60 for the winter?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor