Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maslow_gw

HELP!! is my goldfish sick or what is happening?!?!

maslow
15 years ago

I have had my 2 goldfish and 2 snails for 24 days, they are in a 10 gallon tank. The fish were both the exact same size when i bought them. Just within the last 2-3 days one of them has gotten huge. Someone please explain whats going on? Is it carrying eggs? I bought them from a small local family owned pet store. I have a filter that hangs on the inside of the tank, a live plant, and an air pump. I feed them once a day. Sometimes I give them a deshelled cooked pea mashed up. The tank is cycling so i try to keep the amonia/nitrite levels down by frequent daily 15% water changes. About a week ago I added 1 tea per gallon of salt because the nitrite levels rose from 0 to 10 in 4-5 days. (i think it is part of the tank cycle which should be almost finished). I just stopped putting in salt to the new water changes yesterday 8/04 (day 24 of the tank). Thats about it, but my fish got huge all the sudden. He eats good and swims good and he hides behind a rock quite bit lately and he also always goes to the top of the tank and it looks like he is sucking for air, but the air pump pumps tons of air in the tank. His scales dont look like a pine cone so i dont think it is dropsy. Let me know whats going on please!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! heres a few pictures of the fish right now.....http://www.eburg.com/~anchor/ebay/fish.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:378438}}

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists