Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting (kevin and lumens)

Posted by Boyosiris z7 DC (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 05 at 0:15

Hi guys,
I am confused. Kevin vs Lumens? I undestand that kelvin addresses the color spectrum and lumens for just how bright the light source is. However there are a number of bulbs that only have lumens printed on the package. How can I get more info on the degree Kelvin of a bulb, or is there a conversion formula?

thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting (kevin and lumens)

No conversion between the 2. Like you said Kelvin or K-rateing is color temperature. Lumens is a measurement of output based on what is seen by the human eye. Lumens isn't used,in the case of aquarium plants, as apposed to the watt per gallon method because the human eye is more responsive to the yellow and green colors of the spectrum. The yellow/green have little effect on plant growth. The blue/violet are more imporatnt along with the red/orange. I think the ratio is 2 units blue/violet to 1 red/orange. Usually bulbs that are above 5500K are marked with a K rateing. I am speculating because of the rare allergy to natural sunlight some suffer from. 5500K is approx. = to the suns spectrum at 12 noon. For the most part anything labeled cool white, soft white are below 5000K. Ones with full spectrum, or sunshine are usually <6000K. Daylight are usually 6500K. If the K rateing isnt marked on the package or bulb, or base of the bulb on screw-in compact flurescents, then try going to the brands websight and search for specs. I am familiar with "lights of america" and "phillips" both would be labeled as daylight and indicate it with a K rateing on the packageing or base. I am baseing this on flurescent only. Incadesent light isnt used for plant growth "much" because of the heat it radiates and power consumption vs. fluorescent. Hope this helped. Also, CRI or color rendering, again labeled on packageing should be over 75.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here