Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balamshir

Plants that Redtail Catfish wont eat?

balamshir
14 years ago

So I want to get Redtail Catfish for my 20,000 gallon pond that I will be making. And I heard when they fully grow they destroy a lot of plants but there are many types they cant destroy. So can you please name some plant types that they cant destroy?

This is what I will be keeping in the pond and in order that I will buy them:

Add 6 Koi (2 of each variety, 1 of each gender) (My fish will go down in 2 categories, cannibals (eat other fish in the pond) and non-cannibals (dont eat other fish in my pond). The Koi are the only non cannibal that I dont want to be eaten, that is why I am getting them first so they have the most time to grow)

Add 8 Fresh Water Angelfish (At least 3 of each gender)(These guys will be the feeder fish, but this is not cruelty because the pond will be massive and each fish has their own fair chance of survival, if my pond was 200 gallons I wouldn't add these fish as they have no where to run. I am getting these earlier than White Cloud Mountain Minnow as I want them to have longer time to breed because I will be getting less of them)

Add 50 White Cloud Mountain Minnow (at least 10 of each gender) (These guys will be the feeder fish as well, since they are cheaper I will be getting more and they dont really need much time to bred because they will breed faster than the fish will eat them, I am getting these guys over guppies because they are schooling fish, there is nothing more beautiful than a huge group of fish swimming in harmony)

... 1 month...

Add 2 Silver Arowana (1 of each gender) (I will get these guys first out of the large aggressive fish as they dont eat as much feeder fish as the others because they spend most of their time eating flies at the surface, this will give the feeder fish even more time to breed and grow)

... 2 weeks...

Add 2 Red Tail Catfish (1 of each gender) (I will get these before the Emperor Cichlids because they are less aggressive and do not bully other large fish)

... 1 month...

Add 2 Emperor Cichlid (1 of each gender) (I will get these guys last, I want them to be the smallest as they are the most aggressive and will bully smaller fish and ones of the same size. Since they grow the smallest out of all the non feeder fish they will never get the chance to bully any one)

Even if the fish do become a bit aggressive towards each other there is so much space and hiding spots and the pond is way under stocked. They will also be together from a young non-aggressive age and get used to each other.

Any ways I went way of topic, so my question again: Are there plants that Redtails cant eat? If there are any please name them, I would preferably have them be Amazonian as most of my fish will be from Amazon and I want to make it feel like home as much as possible. Thanks :)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville