Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does my Betta have Fin Rot?

Posted by icurfubar Oz (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 0:20

I all, I have had a Betta for about 3 weeks. First week he was in a big jar, which was always clean. Next 2 weeks he was in a fish bowl and as of yesterday he has his own filtered tank (it was a working progress). My problem is that I was away for the 2 weeks that he was in the bowl and because it had a live plant inside it, it got very dirty and my housemates took no notice. He's in a big clean tank now but I can see a little white on the edges on all his gorgeous fins :-( I'm just wondering if this is the start or the end? I'll race into the pet store first thing tomorrow if he needs meds. I know you can't see him but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does my Betta have Fin Rot?

Sounds like he might unfortunately...good news is it is curable...It takes a different amount of time for each fish...Just Go to your local aquarium and fish shop and ask for their best medication for fin rot. I cant remember the one i have always used but they will be able to help you. I always leave my medication in the tank for as long as possible. Do not change the water. Just top up the tank as it evaporates. The medication i use turns the water a blue colour. Put him in a small tank..anything less then 5litres as you then wont have to use as much medication. Once you are sure that the fin rot is gone you can then change the water in the tank.

o
RE: Does my Betta have Fin Rot?

First of all, NEVER, EVER allow someone else care for your fish while you are away. They can NEVER care for your fish like you can. Unless they know how to care for fish.

Put him in a 2-1/2 gallon aquarium. It's only $14 at PetSmart and with a small heater you betta will thank you for it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here