Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iluvginger

Bala shark is NOT peaceful! Advice please!

ILuvGinger
18 years ago

I have one bala shark in a 39 gallon aquarium with other freshwater fish. The bala keeps chasing the other fish, partically the black long skirt tetras because they swim at the same level.

If they go and hide in the bottom (amongst rocks, plants or stuff), he'll follow them down and attack one of the glass catfish or one of my minnows that are out in the open.

He never seems to catch anyone but not for lack of trying.

I've never had to get rid of a fish before except for two catfish that realllllyyy out grew the tank.

What would be a solution here? Getting him a bala tank mate? in what numbers do they have to be kept? Same size fish? I'm very willing to try.

Or do I just have to find him a new home?

Comments (26)

• paparoseman
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Balas do better in groups of three or more much as barbs do. They are much less aggressive than most of the other minnows known as sharks such as red tailed or rainbow sharks which will chase each other any time they are not chasing the other fish. A 39 gallon tank is a little on the small side for a group of these guys.

• dinabear
    18 years ago

I had two of them the same size and one of them was passive and the other aggressive. The aggressive one picked all of the scales off of the others head and it finally died. I did not keep them.

Dina

• ILuvGinger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So, I'm still kind of in the dark.

If a 39 is too small then I shouldn't get more. But if I don't get more, he'll chase the other fish. And if I get one more, it sounds (from other sources too) that one will be aggressive while the other one will be picked on.

• paparoseman
    18 years ago

Yes like barbs, with less than four or five they tend to not to school as in nature but carry out their aggression on just one fish. If you had a seventy five gallon tank I would have six and they would do great but a thirty nine gallon tank is just not large enough.

• AFail
    18 years ago

I have 55 gall. and i have 2 balas among about 18 other semi agressive fish and they are the sweetest and most serene fish i've ever seen, the have NEVER chased any fish including each other i love them and was considering getting more b/c of the 2 i already have. When we bought ours, the sale guy practically refused to sell them to us b/c we had only a 10 gal but had inteniton of buying a larger one, he said that you HAVE to put them in a 55 or bigger, and we went out & bout this $300 tank for them, and they haven't grown a centimeter, but i still love them. you just have a crazy fish! maybe he or she does need a mate.

• sherryazure
    18 years ago

I did much research on the bala shark which is actually a minnow and on the endangered status list.... they grow huge and need eventually a very large tank, up to 125 gallon minimum... from what I have researched, (always exceptions) they are sometimes agressive when in smaller tanks, and best to have only one, but with much much larger tanks (longer better then taller) schools do well together... now from what I've read many are not aggressive, as mine (one) is not, in small temporary tank (pet store told me he would stay small as well as two pleco catfish har har... so setting up much larger one for them all) have albino rainbow or red tail 'shark' another minnow, three cory's, one catfish which I can't identify, and the bala... in 25 gallon, with lots of plants and rocks caves, the new little catfish which I can't identify is actually the only agressive fish, and chases corys out of 'his' territory, but likes to hand with albino under cave, until lights are down and albino comes out to swim...

He seems to be in the mid range of the tank, and others such as corys near glass as they swim about, or at bottom,
    so guess each fish has its own personality, but might be he just needs more space and they are omnivores, so may want to eat those he is chasing.... I feed a variety of foods, plants he like to nibble on all day, flakes, and blood worms so on... I would seperate him however before other fish are stressed and pay the consequence, maybe a school of fast swimming corys. not sure he may just be a 'stinker' best Sherry

(they grow large but slowly... perhaps in captivity they won't grow as large, but from my research eventually they do grow up to 10 to 14 inches large) They are jumpers as well....

From search:

"Oh, and sometimes if you keep just two, they get kinda aggressive between the two. I had two awhile back before I moved, that were constantly chasing each other. Actually it was one that was usually doing it. So, that just says more that you can keep them by themselves. If you don't have the room for like 6 of them, then I'd say to only get one. I keep mine with tiger barbs and giant danios. They all get along really well, except for the barbs occasional fin nipping, but that's to be expected. My Bala's about 6- 6 1/2 inches now. I keep him in a 60 gallon (4ft long, 14 in wide, 18 in tall) where he's very happy. I bought him at about 3 inches. So, Bala's do seem to grow pretty slowly. I don't know if it's in their make-up or if it's because of the fact that they would prefer much more water then we give them, or maybe they grow faster in softer water, I don't know.
    This is definetly a very neglected fish. And because we don't have very much information on them, it's easier to do so. Many people are given incorrect information, or just missunderstood information. In my experience they will do well by themselves, but that they would be more interesting with several of their own kind. But to do this requires a very large tank, and well, many (including myself) can't afford it. So, for the best interest of the fish, actually keeping just one would be best in most situations, I think.
    I love this fish, it has a very appealing appearance and indearing qualities that make it a wonderful fishy pet. "

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=5529

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:23 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bala Shark

submitted by Conan the librarian

Balantiochellus melanopterus

The Bala shark is a freshwater, free-swimming fish, originating from the rivers of South East Asia. It is peaceful, and does well with almost any other fish, making an outstanding element for community tanks. The Bala Shark is well compatible with: all Gouramis all Barbs including Tinfoil Barbs, all Danios, all Rainbow Sharks, one Red Tail Shark or one Rainbow Shark, and a school of Clown Loaches.
    The Bala Shark, also known as the Silver Shark, is sleek, and metallic looking with an enlarged dorsal fin. It is a tri-colored fish with a silver body, whitish fins, and black tips on the ends of its fins.

Caring for a Bala shark is relatively easy, and with a potential size of about 13 inches and lifespan of up to 10 years, it requires a large living space and being an omnivore, a hearty diet of bloodworms or beefheart, and pellets. Normally it is a good idea to give them vegetable matter in addition. A good amount of foliage and/or hiding areas is best for a Bala Shark, although they don?t require a specific surroundings other than at least ? inches of gravel. Bala Sharks do best in a pH ranging from 6.5-7, a temperature of 72-82 F, and a hardness of 5 dGH. Bala Sharks dart around incredibly fast and when full grown, have been known to jump in the air up to 6 feet! They also will keep a constant motion throughout your whole aquarium, swimming regularly, although can be shy and hang out near the back at times. With this in mind, plan to have a tank cover and the largest possible tank for a full grown Bala.

The name ?Bala Shark? was originally created to help sales and increase the appeal of the fish, which is actually a Cyprinid, or a member of the minnow family. Cyprinid is additionally the name of most other freshwater fish referred to as a shark.

Although your LFS or other sources may tell you to keep balas in a school of at least six if you are planning on having multiple balas, this isn?t always the case, although it is a good idea since Balas in a group too small to school can end up not being comfortable together. My aquarium includes 2 balas and a black shark, and it is amazing to watch the black shark pick on the balas and then a few minutes later see the balas work together to get back at the Black Shark.

Other things you need to keep in mind if you are planning on keeping Bala Sharks, are having a big enough aquarium for Bala Sharks if you want it to reach full size, and that they are more susceptible to Ich and Shimmy than most tropical fish.

The Bala Shark is an egg layer, and their breeding habits are somewhat of a mystery. There is no way of immediately being able to sex a Bala Shark from its appearance. Balas are not bred in captivity, so all of the fish are caught in the wild.

Bala Sharks are excellent fish, and can even help to keep the algae level down. Bala Sharks are plentiful in pet stores, and in my opinion there is no reason not to have a Bala in a community tank bigger than 55 gallons.
    If you are interested in going further, check out some of the links below.

http://www.aquahobby.com/bala.html
    http://www.petinfo4u.com/bala_sharks.htm
    http://www.petfish.net/bala.htm

http://www.betta-town.com/diseases.htm

• isis_nebthet
    18 years ago

Bala sharks tend to hop tank if you intend on keeping him. Something to keep in mind it always sucks to raise a fish to a good size to find it out on the floor one day.

• ILuvGinger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmm.... there's an awful lot they don't tell you in fish stores.

When he gets even larger, putting him in with my red eared slider might be an option. If they get along I mean. Right now my res is only a baby.

The aquarium is planted and has caves and shells and other things also to amuse the fish. Strangly enough, he seems to have mellowed out right now. I hope it holds out.

• LindaMA
    18 years ago

Where I used to work, they had a 10 gallon community tank that included a bala shark amoung a swordtail, mickey mouse platy, a male and female guppy (I don't have to tell you how many guppies there were after that) and a few more. This tank had 12 fish in it. Anyway, upon leaving this job for another, I was asked to take the tank because I was the only one who cared for the fish. I thought about it but wasn't happy with the confined quarter so I went out and purchased a 29 gallon tank and brought most of the fish home, with the exception of most of the guppies, they just breed a little too much for my liking. Anyway, the bala shark did fine in the 10 gallon tank with the other fish and I was told that he'd been there for a while. He's not that big at all. He seems to like my new tank and now my husband wants to purchase another one to keep him company. He is not the least bit aggressive, that was very apparent in the 10 gallon tank, especially with all the little fry swimming around, which he never bothered. I told my husband that I would get another bala shark but if they got too big for my 29 gallon, he'd have to go out and purchase a larger tank for the two of them, also, if the new shark bothered any of my other fish, he had to go. When I purchased the 29 gallon, I also purchased 3 lemon tetras and a mickey mouse platy, a black molly, which died the next day and 2 rosey barbs, which the clerk in the store told me where female lemon tetras. I thought I was getting 5 of them so they could school but 2 of them, I'm pretty sure, are rosey barbs.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Bala sharks need a huge tank!!! At least 100 or 150 gallon. I had 3 for a few years.....in a 66 gallon community tank with barbs. They are a schooling fish and are very fast when they start playing. They also like to jump. This was a really sad mistake on my part.....I didn't do reseach before I bought them and was told they only got to about 6 inches. Well that was wrong!!!! As my fish grew....they would jump....and one hit the lid so hard one day that it did a lot of damage to itself. Another flew out of the tank one evening and as luck would have it....both my Dh and I were in the room....this poor fish landed on the floor beside my dog.....both Dh and I moved fast enough......I grabbed the dog and Dh put the fish back in the tank. Now both of these fish healed but it was not a pleasant experience for either us or the fish.
    At 13 inches long....we had to find homes for these beauties.....it was a sad day.....but we knew that they would be much happier in the 150 aquarium that was going to be their new home. They looked much happier being able to swim around a little more. These fish were never aggressive.....just big. Lesson learned here.....don't buy fish unless you have done your research on them....after you buy the fish.....its to late.

• ILuvGinger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't buy fish now unless I've done research.

When he gets bigger, I'm going to put him in a larger tank. Right now there's soooo many other pets things to buy that need to be bought asap.

• LindaMA
    18 years ago

Once my 2 Bala Sharks start to grow, we are going to purchase a 55 gallon just for the 2 of them. I have grown pretty attached to them now and don't want to create any undue necessary stress on them. I too wish I had done more research but live and learn. Next time I'll no better.

• marrob11_xtra_co_nz
    18 years ago

help my silver shark is not eating

• SquirrelBallsOO
    18 years ago

check your water qualities, if they arent right sometimes fish wont eat.

• thunderxrage
    17 years ago

That story the lady wrote about the fish jumping out of the tank and landing by a dog is really funny. Poor sharky, the horror... the horror!

• karakitten
    15 years ago

I just purchased two balas a few days ago and put them in an 80 gallon tank with my big fish Spike, who is a pleco. So far, neither of the balas has attacked each other or Spike. I was wondering if I should get more balas, say 1-2 more, with Spike being about 9 inches long. So far, they are getting along fine.

• birdwidow
    15 years ago

Frankly, for an 80, I'd trade the balas back for 12 - 16 giant danios have a school of beautiful, hardy fish that would give a far better display.

Or, if you want gorgeous minnows that will be happy in an 80, dig deep and treat yourself to 6 - 8 Red Line Barbs.

BTW: If that is what it is, and if you bought it at a LPS, it probably is: a full grown Trinidad, AKA: Sailfin Pleco is NOT a suitable fish for most home aquariums and eventually, even in an 80, Spike will get to 16 -18" and become a potential hazzard to it's tankmates, so if you ever feel the need to find it another home, replace it with a species that will stay small, such as a Bristlenose.

• tanks4thememories
    15 years ago

Bala is a shoaling fish it needs plenty of room and a few of its own kind to play with. Any fishes behavior can change drastically if kept in cramped or un natural conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: My aquarium blog

• james_ny
    15 years ago

It really doesn't matter what experiences others have had. If he is agressive to the point of damageing the other fish [either by nipping or forceing them to constantly hide] in your tank he should be removed. Maybe store will give you credit towards another fish.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

bala sharks get big and need to be in schools, of 7 or so, i would really consitter rehoming the bala's, unless you want a 400 gallon tank or so with powerful filtration . 400 gallons seems about right for a stocking level of 7- 14 inch fish, that like long tanks and need ample swimming room.

Some fish you want to avoid in the future.
    Siemese trigger fish
    Bala sharks
    Pangias catfish
    suckermouth catfish
    Pacus
    Redtail catfish
    Wolf cichlids,
    Snakeheads
    eels
    Channel catfish
    gar
    bowfins
    koi
    large cichlids
    tinfoil barbs

- any fish you do not know about/ on impluse

Good fish

White clouds, Kribs, barbs, tetras, Bettas, ect.

• adampeters2010_yahoo_co_uk
    12 years ago

Ive never had a bala shark that showed any signs of agression but it is best to keep them together 2 or 3 and as they do grow to anything upto 15" the bigger the tank the better

• gavinohackett_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Okay i have a 5 gallon tank and 2 bala sharks, they arnt that big yet. There is also an algae eater but thats it, and they are doing perfect but i think its a boy and a girl too so that might make a ddifference

• Tim Harb
    8 years ago

A 5 gallon tank is way too small. they will out grow that in a few months. The good thing is that you probably can always trade with your pet store and get a few small ones again. I have a 130 gal and have 3 and may get 1 or two more at most. You can over populate your tank a little but if your less than 75 gallon I wouldn't recommend trying.

• Derren King
    3 years ago

I keep one 7 inch bala shark with 1 grapefruit size ryukin and and another small orange size ryukin at water temp 24/25 c,, they do and have been doing just fine👍

• HU-976341978
    3 years ago

Mine do the same, I have 4, about 4 inches long, he chases them, but never harmed any other fish, yet... I have 48 fish in a 75 gallon, 8 in pleco, 9 half dollar tiger barbs, they can classified as semi aggressive.. my opinion, in my tank, no issues..

Sponsored