Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of catfish is this?

Posted by rochesterroseman zone5 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 05 at 7:32

I recently bought a used aquarium with some fish in it, including this old catfish, about 7 inches long. I hardly see him because he hides inside that log he is sitting on. Does anyone know what kind he is, and anything I should do to keep him healthy? Food or other special needs?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of catfish is this?

It is a common pleco

o

hmmm, I dont think so, because it has big whiskers, and doesnt suck on the glass or anywhere else. Just eats the fish food I dump in.

o

Definitly Synodontis, not sure which one as there are many different species and many are brown with black spots.
They originate in Africa with many coming from the Rift Lakes. They have long lives and are fairly easy to keep.
Over the years, I've had about 10 different species but Synodontis Angelicus has been my favorite. I don't see them in the stores any more but in the 1970's they were available occasionally, mostly wild caught. They came in with wild caught African Cichlids almost as an afterthought but quite quickly became very popular.

o

It is a Synodontis nigrita. Yours is a fairly large one, they can reach ten inches or so. At some time yours has lost it's dorsal fin. They are not particularly aggressive to other fish except for their daytime hiding place. It is found in West Africa in rivers including the Congo. It would prefer a pH around 7.0 but it is not important. They eat most foods and will eat some plant material in addition to flakes and some frozen foods like bloodworms or brine shrimp.

o

Thanks Papa, He probably rubbed that fin off squeezing in and out of that log he lives inside of. I almost never see him because he is always hiding! He seems depressed and lonely, but I could be projecting my human emotions on him. I will buy him some bloodworms, maybe that will cheer him up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here