Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboo

Posted by iliketerrariums (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 9:35

Hi all, Im wondering if anyone here has ever used dry bamboo as a decoration in an aquarium? If so have you had any problem with it? Like the water changing color? rotting? fish dying? any info at all will be appreciate = )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboo

It's actually not a true aquatic plant, nor is it true bamboo. It's a member of the Dracena family. It usually does ok, and sometimes even grows a bit, but eventually it usually starts to melt. That usually takes a few months though, so you can always use it for a time, then pull it into a vase or something where it can come up out of the water. Remove algae from the leaves frequently, or use an otocinclus catfish or flying fox (plecos can damage the leaves)

Here is a link that might be useful: petfish.net

o

May I presume you mean pieces of dry bamboo, and not the live plants sold as "Lucky Bamboo" referred to in the previous post? Those are indeed, members of the Dracena family and not true aquatics, but then, neither is bamboo, which is an upland grass.

But I would not use true dried bamboo as a tank decoration, because it will quickly rot and also, won't sink without weights and when it becomes waterlogged enough to do so, it's already on it's way to becoming a soggy mess.

If you like the look of it, while I am a live plant & real driftwood and rootwood fan, for the appearance of bamboo, ceramic or acrylic would be a safer alternative to genuine, organic material.

o

Real boo.. dried and dead would not affect your tank.. and would be fine.. could it possible rot at some point.. possibly.. but should be fine if it is properly already died out and dried out..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here