Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny little clear-whitish worms on the glass? What are they????

Posted by greengardener07 6b/7 - SE PA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 10, 08 at 10:31

Hi all,

I have had my 29 Gallon aquarium for about two years now and had minimal problems. Now I have a question for all the experts!

As the water level decreases, I notice that there are these little clearish-white "worms" that are on the glass. When I add the water to increase the level, they go into the water and "swim" with the current and eventually go to the bottom or get eaten by the fish. They are also on the under side of the lid to my tank.

Is it a parasite? What can i do to get rid of them? Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny little clear-whitish worms on the glass? What are they??

Hi! Those white worms are planaria. They're harmless, but they do point to a water quality or overfeeding problem. Planaria are always there, it's just in a balanced system, they don't have a large enough population for you to ever see them. If you overfeed or don't do enough partial water changes, you'll get a population explosion of them.

Take your water in to be tested, or buy a liquid test kit. Good levels should be: Ammonia -0ppm, Nitrites - 0ppm, Nitrates -20-40ppm or below. Ph is usually stable because of the buffering capacity of most tap water.

You mentioned filling up for evaporation, are you also doing regular partial water changes? If so, how much and how often?

Usually a remedy to this is to cut down on the amount you feed (a fish's stomach is usually about the size of it's eye, unless we're talking goldfish which don't have a stomach), and start doing small partial water changes. If it's been a long time between water changes, or your water quality is way off, you need to do very small amounts. A good rule of thumb for this is 10% of your tanks volume every day for a week, then re-test.

Whatever you do, DON'T empty the tank and re-fill, toss your filter media etc. You'll end up worse off because you'll loose all the beneficial bacteria keeping your tank cycled.

There's some great articles and help on this stuff at petfish.net, I included the link for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: petfish.net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here