Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krikit_gw

Buying a used tank

krikit
17 years ago

I am wanting to get an aquarium and am considering a used one. If I should be able to find a used tank, are they difficult to seal if it has a leak?

Thanks in advance,

Frances

Comments (18)

• woeisme
    17 years ago

It depends on the person. If you can caulk or re-caulk a tub you can do-it. Here's an article on how-to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fixing a leaky tank

• james_ny
    17 years ago

The problem is if it starts leaking after it's running with fish you'll have a real mess on your hands [and the floor]. Sometimes the reseal job leaks after a while making it worse. A good quality tank can last for many years [my 150 lasted over 17 years] it's worth the money to buy new IMO. Stick with the "standard" sizes [10,20,55 gal] and their reasonably cheap. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

Used tanks are the best means of getting the most bang for your bucks and as long as the glass and frame are both good, resealing it if necessary, is cheap and easy.

I read the article in the link above and would disagree with the author's claim that aquarium safe sealant is hard to find.

Every advanced aquarist I know, also knows that any product labeled 100% silicone is the exact same product packaged for aquariums at 10% of the cost, and applying it with a caulking gun beats all heck out of trying to squeeze it from a tube.

You can buy enough of that product at any home center to reseal a dozen tanks for the same cost of one silly little tube of the same stuff at a pet shop, that's also a real PITA to use.

The author's advise to use a new blade to remove all old sealant and clean with alcohol is correct, (be generous with the alcohol and paper towels) but there is another trick.

For a perfectly even application that can't be told from a factory job, fix strips of blue painter's tape to the glass about 1/4 inch from each corner before applying the clear silicone. Make sure you get it flat and smooth.

Lay a fine bead of the silicone into the corners and run your finger lightly along it to create a smooth, even, concave line, with no worry about getting any excess on the glass.

Wait about 10 - 15 minutes, until the silicone is reasonably set up but not yet completely dry, and peel off the tape: clean, straight edges.

Actually, the best bargains of all are leakers, becauxse most people won't buy a tank unless it's being offered as watertight.

However, never presume ANY dry tank is totally watertight, even a new one. Always fill and let sit for a few days. If it's a leaker, you will know it very quickly.

If it isn't, you will also know it quickly, although with a used, older one, you would want to examine the seals for any apparent weak spots, especially if the tank has been dry for any length of time.

Finally. If any new sealant is used, allow it to dry at least 48 hours. Then, fill the tank and let it sit another 24 hours to test the seals.

Once you are satisfied it's watertight, drain, rinse and refill.

All things come with a price. If you want a big, fancy tank set-up for half or even less the cost of buying it new, go used, but be prepared to put a bit of time and effort into it.

BTW: if you want to get a good handle on what's available and how the prices are running, check out what's listed on eBay and Aquabid. Who knows: you just might score on a local auction.

Also, don't forget estate sales; often the best of all deals because most estate sellers really don't want to mess with large glass tanks and shipping them costs more than they are worth, so unless the heirs are local and want Mom or Dad's aquarium, they are often as glad to be rid of it, ASAP.

Good hunting.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    Sounds like you got good advice. I would add that check around for new ones to get an idea of what they cost. You can usually buy a tank under 40 gallons ,cheaper than a used one..
    Last January i got a 150 for free because of a cracked glass and discovered that a replacement glass cost more than a new tank lol. I used a plastic pegboard as a reinforcement held on with silicone. Cost me a total of 40 bucks and so far has not leaked since March.
    Since it's for fresh water and located in the shadehouse
    it's really not a big deal if it does leak.
    Now if i was going to setup a 150 sw in the house above my Persian carpet Wouldn't even consider a used tank,After all . the tank is a minor expense compared to the total expense!!
    gary

• woeisme
    17 years ago

I agree with Birdwidow about the sealant. However do not assume all 100% silicone products are suitable for aquarium use. When the product is labeled 100% silicone it "may" be refering to the % of silicone and latex. Some sealants (or caulk) are 100% latex or silicone or a blend depending on application. GE Silicone II is 100% silicone but not suitable because it has a mold/mildew inhibitor additive. GE Silicone I is fine (used to be labeled "aquarium safe" until the last 8 years or so). DAP 100% silicone is safe, it is actually the same exact stuff in DAP Aquarium sealant, just a different label and more $$$. It is rumored that both DAP and GEI are contracted to the bigger aquarium names like AGA and Perfecto to package their productwith other labels and part of the deal was to remove the wording that the GE and DAP are for aquarium use. The longer you allowthe silicone to cure the better. The seal will just last longer or have less chance being damaged.

• krikit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the VERY informative advice. I am very excited about getting my tank going. Bought a book about freshwater aquariums that was recommended here and have been reading it, but I'm really thankful for this site to help with questions along the way. The extra 'personal' experiences with tank setups and fish is really helpful. I'm hoping for a 30 gal tank because I like the longer look of 36" as opposed to the 29 gal. Would have ideally liked a larger tank but don't think the floors in my old house would handle it.

Again, let me say how much I appreciate each of you taking the time to help me with this and I look forward to learning more as I go along!!

Frances

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

You are welcome Frances, and also correct about 30 gal. The extra length make them better suited for the fish than a 29. Every bit of additional length gives the fish that much more swimming room and most importantly, surface area.

Woeisme is also correct. Always check the label on silicone sealant, which includes the list of ALL ingredients. Also, when using it or any type of sealant, less is usually more.

Meaning: don't overdo it. If you look at new tanks, you will find very little excess sealant inside the corners. That's why I find using it in the tubes with a caulking gun not only cheaper, but so much easier too. I can cut a very small hole and apply a steady, thin bead. If the air temp is below about 70 deg., warming the tube in a bucket of hot water before you apply it helps it flow.

I always allow at least 48 hrs. to cure, but as Woe wrote, the longer it's allowed to cure the better, although air temps and humidity play a part in the calculation. I try to make tank repairs a warm weather chore and leave them out on the deck in the sun, so find 2 days to be enough, but don't rush it. If you aren't sure; give it a few more days.

BTW: If you have the space for one, your best score might be for a 55 gal. as they are about the most common size for tanks above 29, and spreading the weight over the extra ft. of length should not stress your floor joists anymore than would 1 ft. less, with a 30.

Do come back and tell us what you find in a tank, and how you plan to set it up.

• krikit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You're really tempting me w/the larger 55 gallon. I am fearful of the floors, but since it is now going to be another couple of months or so before I can do anything (unexpected $$ reasons)I will continue to give it some thought. I've been reading a book about freshwater tanks and he says that 29gal is the very least a person should go with for a first tank, and I was surprised at how few fish are actually recommended. But when you think of the toxins from waste it really makes sense, and I don't want them to be too crowded. I am having a good time planning and deciding on what I want. Two fish that I am really drawn to for my 30 gal (or 55 gal if I decide to risk the floor) are the dwarf gourami and angel fish, could you have a pair of each of these and then some corys and a school of white clouds? thanks again for all the wonderful info - I'm also debating live plants but a bit afraid of that for a first tank unless there are some that will grow well with just standard flourescent and not the super expensive lighting.

Frances :-)

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

Frances:

You would actually be putting less stress on your floor joists by spreading the weight of a 55, which is 4ft. long, across 4 of what are presumably, standard 16" joist centers, than a 30" wide 29, all of which would supported by just 2 joists.

As for your mix of fish. Forget the white clouds unless you want to establish a cold water tank. They are not tropical, but in fact minnows, native to cool mountain streams in China and were originally called: White Cloud Mountain Minnows.

I would also not mix any gouramis, especially dwarfs, with angels. As lovely as they are to look at, angels get quite large and if a true MF pair, are highly territorial

What would get along with them would be other Amazon fish that can move so much faster than the angels. Neons or Cardinal tetras for instance. In a 55, you can easily support about 3 dozen small, fast moving tetras with 2 angels, but if the angels prove a MF pair, they will eventually want to set up housekeepinig and will become aggressive toward any other fish. About the only tankmates they won't attack would be the Corys.

If you want to have some real fun, and can bring yourself to forget the angels for the present, try this......

About 3 dozen neon or cardinal tetras, or the pretty dwarf gourami if you like them so much, and no less than 6 cory cats of a single species. Cory cats need at least of that many of the same species to be happy, as that is about the minimum number for them to school.

Don't fear live plants. All you need to do is check the light level each needs and even a standard light setup on a 55 will give you plenty, especially if you mix bright whites with grow bulbs.

The most common mistake beginners make, is trying to mix too many incompatible species in a tank, so focus on just a few that will school and live happily in the same water.

In the wild, most small fish live in schools, so keeping just a few fish of any species makes for very insecure and unhappy fish. No less than 6 each of any schooling species, and a dozen is even better.

Recommended numbers of fish are also dependant upon good filtration. Always use a filter rated for at least twice the capacity of the tank, and plan 50% water changes no less than weekly.

• krikit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for the wonderful info - I think I may indeed go for the 55 gal., the problem with my house is that it is about 140 years old and not so good structural design and some areas nearly impossible to access underneath. I will talk to my husband and see what he says about which way the joists are running, etc. But, back to the fish and plants, thanks for the great info - I think I can give up on the angels and like you said maybe add the dwarf gourami. This is VERY exciting, thanks again for your help!

Frances

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

Frances:

If I can encourage a neophyte to set up a tank the right way from the getgo it's fun for me too, because I have seen so many done according to what some clerk in a pet store "reccommended" go wrong, and what should have been a splendid and easy to maintain show tank with a happy owner ends up on eBay.

By all means, do determine the location of the floor joists and place your tank on a wall where the weight of it will spread across them. Also, if you can set the tank against a bearing wall, it will have more support.

Goodness: you came here for aquarium advice and are getting "This Old House"! LOL!

Regardless: whatever species attracts you the most should set the theme, starting with it's native waters. Reproduce native water chemistry and keep only those species from the same, and you will be far more successful.

BTW: When you buy your show tank, look for a smaller one, even a 10 will do, to use for quarantine. Never, ever add any fish to an already stocked tank before a quarantine period of at least 2 weeks.

There is a "trick" to introducing new fish to your water and I would be glad to share it with you, as so many fine aquarists did with me. Feel free to contact me directly if you wish.

• violet_2010
    12 years ago

I am about to tackle a 75 gallon aquarium. I have everything ready and was reading your instructions. My Dap tube says clear 100% silicone rubber sealant. 50 year durability. Improves energy efficency. It has a blue label. It says not for continuous under water use. Is this ok to use.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

* Posted by violet_2010 6a (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 20:38

I am about to tackle a 75 gallon aquarium. I have everything ready and was reading your instructions. My Dap tube says clear 100% silicone rubber sealant. 50 year durability. Improves energy efficency. It has a blue label. It says not for continuous under water use. Is this ok to use.

No

• violet_2010
    12 years ago

albert_135, I kept the caulking for the tub.I found what I needed at Menards. (I hope) It is called lock-tite. I have cleaned the tank untill it looks spotless. Took about four days of using razor blades, vinegar and alchol. I have it masked off and ready to go. They said three would do it. I bought four in case it wasn't enough. I was surprised at the price of a little less than $4.00 a tube. I had fun doing this.I hope it doesn't leak when finished. Thanks for taking time to answer my post.

• violet_2010
    12 years ago

Up date on aquarium!!! I bought a new 75 gal. tank and a Fulval 305 canister. I have it set up and waiting for it to cycle. It was a job sealing the other one. I tried the best I could but there were tiny bubbles in the seal. It didn't leak but I just couldn't take a chance on it.

• gophermound
    12 years ago

If you have a lot of bubbles that is bad. Good thing you went with a new tank.

Does anyone here do saltwater? Here is a project I've been slowly getting together. My 2 mermaids...
    {{gwi:378813}}

Will be saltwater like all my previous tanks.

Here is a shot of a derasa clam and few sps corals. Flash sorta washed out the colors.

{{gwi:378815}}

• violet_2010
    12 years ago

That is a very nice tank. It is huge! Pretty little mermaid you have too! I think the salt water tanks are lovely but I don't think at my age I could handle that. They are very expensive, or so I have heard.
    I was going to send you a picture of my tank but I don't know how to only send one picture from the album.
    I will have to check it out in the photo section. My tank is set up with fish now. They are doing very well. I did lose a betta. I think the rosy barbs thought it was food.
    Best of luck to you!

• ocnick
    12 years ago

Depends on how bad the leak is. I wouldn't trust is. Buy a new one.

Sponsored