Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to start up a 75 gallon aquarium?

Posted by fairydust 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 07 at 14:13

i just inherited a fairly new 75 gallon aquarium. what type's of tropical fish do well in this size? do angel fish do well? what types of freshwater plants thrive? this will be a freshwater aquarium.any help is deeply appreciated. fairydust

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to start up a 75 gallon aquarium?

If you've never done an aquarium before I suggest you study, study, study first. Got to www.wetwebmedia.com and read the section on freshwater aquariums. Read the frequently asked questions.
Your questions are a little open ended. Once you've studied and get an idea of what you think you would like, come back to this forum and ask specific questions and I'm sure you will get lots of help and suggestions.

o

You have a variety of fish and plants, depending upon your tastes, to put in a tank this size. Angelfish would be fine. And to go with Angels, you try Gouramis, livebearers (Guppies, Mollies, Swordtails, Platties). As to plants, you can buy Swords, Vallisneria, Anacharis, Cabomba,...

o

I would suggest doing a fishless cycle. It saves alot of heart ache in the end. If you want to do the plant thing then start the plants first. Get them to start growing well then add fish. Plants will need a good supply of light in your big tank. Plants that do well in low light that are good "begginer" plants are java fern, foxtail/parrot feather/frill what ever the local fish store calls it. Water sprite is good to, but may need medium to low light to do well.

o

Water Sprite happens to be my favorite plant, when I was a kid, and propogating livebearers and bubblenest builders. How do plants get the Nitrogen Cycle going?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here