Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladygarnet

new coldwater aquarium

ladygarnet
17 years ago

Just brought my goldfish in from the pond for the winter. Are there any kind of algae eaters, bottom feeders that I can get for a coldwater tank? Water temp around 72F and no heater. I have a 13 small goldfish and about 5 plants.

If I just do 5-10% water change each week (I was told that was recommended) do I need to get an algae eater?

Comments (10)

• bobsquinty
    17 years ago

you can get a regular plecostumus and he will do the job, but sometimnes they will hang on fish giving them sores. Golden apple snails are excellent algae eatersand out of experience, will only eat bad parts of plants (if any). the problem with them is reproduction, femails will lay frequently, and egg destruction is good.

• ladygarnet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can the plecostumus be in a cold water tank? and if I got the apple snails, how do I tell where the eggs are? Do they attach to the plants?

I appreciate all the help.

• woodnative
    17 years ago

Although 72 is on the cooler side for tropicals, it is still within range. The plecos will do fine at that temp. However, do you really need an algae eater?? Goldfish seem to "mouth" everything, I can't imagine algae being a big problem. Are these in a fish tank? You can wipe the glass whenever you do water changes. Water changes are good for all fish, the frequency and volume will depend species, size, stocking rate, how much you are feeding, etc. etc.

• ladygarnet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They are in a tank for the winter, during the summer they are in a pond. Our winters are very cold and my pond is not deep enough to keep from freezing. As for needing an algae eater, I just remember when I had a tropical tank I needed one to help keep the tank clean. I also heard that goldfish are real "poop machines" and can make the tank quite dirty.

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

The best thing you can do for Goldies is to give them the biggest filter(s) you can fit onto the largest tank you can fit in your space, a long airstone set at one end with enough air pressure to keep the entire surface roiling, and water changes down to their dorsals as often as possible.

No amount of filtration is too much. For 13 small (no larger than 6" ea.) fish, I would reccommend no less than 125 gal.

Goldies are both the easiest, yet difficult of FW fish to keep in aquarium tanks, as they are so much bulkier than the majority of tropicals. Just one 6-8 " Goldie will have the same bulk as 50 guppies.

As cold water fish, they also need far more oxygen per cu. of water, so the more surface area the better.

Wherein the fallacy of "cold water" aquariums in homes. The water will maintain at the same temp as the air. If you have central heating and maintain winter temps of at least 72 deg. that how warm the Goldie tank will be and for carp, that's not cold: it's eat like a hog- breathe a lot- warm.

If you don't keep them as tank pets and have some space in a garage or basement, one of the most ecconomical means of keeping them in winter isn't an aquarium, but a fiberglass watering trough.

You can put put Goldies into a dormant state for winter by keeping them in a watering trough at about 36-40 degrees. You would back off the food over the course of a week or so, allowing the water to get colder, then reverse the process at the same rate in spring. The colder and darker the tank, the less active the fish will be, until they are quite in a near sleeping state.

Carp coming out of winter dormancy will have lost weight, but will regain it quickly. Just keep in mind that the warmer the water, the more active they will be and the more oxygen they will consume.

You would still need filtration and an airstone, but far less. Once they go dormant, they need far less oxygen and would not foul the water very much, so require far less attention.

Actually, the best place to learn how to winter Goldies is really the pond forum. Just think of them as small Koi, because from the largest, 30"+ Koi to the smallest GF, they are all just fancy carp.

• ladygarnet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tips, however, I really don't want to have them dormant basement. I want to be able to enjoy them. I found a local pet store that deals in fish, both aquarium type and pond type. He told me that I just need to keep the tank clean with frequent water changes. No bottom feeder needed. Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

Ladygarnet:

Ah. I'm sorry. When you described them as pond fish, I lept to an unwarranted presumtion.

Yes, Water changes. Never too many for Goldies.

• bobsquinty
    17 years ago

to ladygarnet
    the eggs will come over the water level and will be pink just google apple snails

• greenlarry
    15 years ago

How big do these water snails get and how many per fish?

• rick_7356
    14 years ago

What about real cold water 45Degree F?
    I have an outdoor pond with 6 gold Fish 4 to 8 inches in length and during the winter months I feed them once month, but the Hair Algae flourishes. Is there an Algae eater the will survive 45 to 80 degree water?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner