Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danie2201

Fin Rot

danie2201
15 years ago

I have had my betta for almost two months now. I started him out in a 2 L tank, and after reading up on bettas, I purchased a 2 Gal this week end to give him a larger home, and to add some decorations for him to rest on. I made sure I rinsed everything off thoroughly. I added water conditioner, and aquarium salt to the tank, and let the filter run for 48 hours before transfering my little friend. He's always been very lively and likes to show off. I introduced him to his new tank on Monday night. When I got home from work yesterday, I noticed the fin rot had started. I had a bottle of betta fish medication that the pet store sold me for bacterial infections. I'm at work and don't know which medication it actually is, although I'm thinking it's Tetracycline... I'm so confused because his water has always been clean. I never overfeed him. And I have put the aquarium salt in his tank. I'm going to check the food when I get home to see if it's out of date. Should I move him back into his old tank?? Please help. My betta means a lot to me. I've already rescued him from being abandoned in an apartment, from falling down a sink, and nursing him through constipation when he was floating on the top of the water. He's a trooper and I want to make sure I do what's best for him.

Comments (6)

• danie2201
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, now that I'm home and have reread the medication bottle... it's called BETTAFIX and the active ingredient is "Melaleuca". I didn't mention it in the previous post, but here along the Gulf Coast of Alabama, it's pretty warm. We keep our thermostat set between 77 an 79 degrees right now, so I don't think the problem is water temperature.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

Personaly, I find Tetracycline to be THE best bacterial remedy on the market. It is also the messiest product on the market and annoying to extricate from the environs. But I choose life over aesthetics and convenience.

• fishandflowers
    15 years ago

ok, betta fix is just diluted melafix (tee tree oil). It's NOT an antibiotic, though it does have antiseptic properties.

How do you know the water was clean, were you testing it for ammonia? The water can look very clear, but still be very toxic for the fish. How often are you changing the water, and how often were you changing it in the 2L tank?

Tetracycline used to work great, however in many areas it's almost useless because of resistant bacteria. I've also never found it useful for fin rot. (This can be due to location however, as there are different strains of the bacteria that cause fin rot). I've never found it messy if used in the tablet or powder form, but it is hard to remove from a cycled aquarium. An uncycled bowl shouldn't be a problem though.

I personally like Maracyn 2, but that's just what works for me.

Anyhow, back to the OP. The melafix may help keep the area of exposed fin clean (think of it a bit like iodine or neosporin)and it helps in rin-regrowth, but if you don't see improvement in 2 days, I'd go and get an actual antibiotic (Again, I personally have the best luck with Maracyn 2, which treats mostly gram-negative bacteria). With the antibiotics, you would usually dose daily w/o water changes to build up a level of the meds (just like for people). Don't add more salt if you're not doing water changes.

You also don't need to keep salt in his tank all the time. Just use it for treatment at the rate of 1tsp per gallon. Disolve the salt first in a little tank water, then add it to the tank.

After treatment is finished and he's all better, you may want to get an ammonia test kit (the liquid kits work best). Do a water change, then test daily until you get readings (on a 2 gallon bowl with regular feeding, this should take about 5-8 days). If you get readings on day 8, then you know you should do water changes on day 7, so as to never expose your fish to toxic ammonia.

By the way, are you using bottled or tap water? If using tap water, what conditioner do you use? I prefer Amquel + or Prime, both are highly concentrated so you won't run out as fast, and both help your water quality. Those are the only 2 brands I'll use.

Try the link below, there's a betta board there and lots of articles on bettas and on fin rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: petfish.net

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

[quote]Tetracycline used to work great, however in many areas it's almost useless because of resistant bacteria. I've also never found it useful for fin rot. (This can be due to location however, as there are different strains of the bacteria that cause fin rot). I've never found it messy if used in the tablet or powder form, but it is hard to remove from a cycled aquarium. An uncycled bowl shouldn't be a problem though. [/quote]

I used to work at a wholesaler and we used TC, along with a variety of other bacterial and parasitic meds, all the time. I have watched our overcrowded tank shipments bet started on bacterial infections and TC would put in check by the next day. We gave it one full day of doing its job and do water changes every day hence to get rid of it.

• fishandflowers
    15 years ago

^
    Which is exactly why I said in "many areas". Not ALL areas. You can try TC all you want where I live, and it won't do you a lick of good. Go a few hours away, and it's fine. It really all depends on what strains of bacteria you're dealing with. And, unless you're willing to pay to find that out or have your own lab in which to do so, it's all just an educated guess anyhow.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

Another thing we were taught was that if the fish weren't responding to one med, try another. In other words, if TC wasn't solving the problem, try EM or Maricyn or Maricide or formaldehyde or Acriflavine or Sulfa or....

Unless one is putting things under a microscope, one has to take an educated guess. We were barely aware of gram negative and gram positive bacteria. TC did the best, better than Penicillin / derivatives and dyes. We tried combinations, like salt, EM & TC.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022