Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moregirll8000

Hurricane Rita and fish

moregirll8000
18 years ago

I live in Houston and the power to our house most likely will go out and I am worring about my fish. Will they sufficate? I added lots of live plants. I'm hoping this will help. anything else I could do? a quick resoponse would be appreaciated. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• sherryazure
    18 years ago

moregirl:

less plants as they will consume oxygen without light... (can they be near natural light or is that a mute point, ie in storm may be dangerous near windows.... may have to move everything to safer spot - basement (what a situation, I have often wondered about another blackout in nyc as I didn't have fish during first one) will you be there or gone? IF there store prepared water to clean if necessary. If gone, do good cleaning prior. I'd say if you have extra tanks and conditioned water, spread fish around.

I am reading an older Dr. Innes book and it states "if your home must be shut for a few days, don't worry about th fish starving. They will be all right. so imagine if you have no filter, air stones et all, how to minimize risk, less fish per gallon of water.. Here in NYC during the black out for a day or so (can't remember exactly think it was two in my neighborhood) the fish and other creatures at the local pet store died (not all but many) due to the extreme heat... they can survive darker periods, will seem like shut down to them.. won't feed as much.. so some plants for food, but not so many that they will consume oxygen as they do at night without light.... less fish per tank and feed just before you leave, or if there you can store water and prepare it as you syphon off debree - but general rule is less is best during stressful times. I hope this will be the less of your problems, and stay safe!

Other book by Dr. Innes (older book but full of 'lost' information) "If one must be aqay for a few days it seems to be safer to let the fishes go hungry rather then entrust their feeding to someone without experience. ' remember when they are shipped they go through several days without food (this book is from 40's so may be faster transpertation today!) tend towards underfeeding... maintain the temperatire near 70 rather then higher range....God bless to you and your creatures. Sherry

Ps. I have often thought I'd clean out the bathtub with salt, and fill it full (making sure seal is tight and doesn't leak water) put some rocks plants and all my fish there (did so when I rescued turtles onces. Nice and large with huge water surfice for air exchange, cooler due to nature of bathroom in general, can cover with screen so won't jump out... like an indoor pond, but now I have a rather large aquarium which would do... again best of luck to you...

• sherryazure
    18 years ago

PS One more thing, if you are there... You can add oxygen to water by agitating it, take some out and pour it back and forth between to manigable containers (ie such as two large pitchers), rigouresly, this will add oxygen and you can add it back to the tanks...(forgive my inability to spell correctly and since seems urgent didn't run through spell check)

• sherryazure
    18 years ago

sorry one more thought, you can add those white ammonia 'things' (often used for goldfish and in filters), white and absorb ammonia and other toxins... I use them in my tanks to control ammonia esp when away and not able to do partial changes.... just put them at bottem of tanks after washing and or use them pre packed for filters in little bags... will absorb toxins while away.

Brand name such as Ammo Rocks (zeolite actually - I think vocano mineral that absorbs toxins)

• woeisme
    18 years ago

The plants should take care of the ammonia if the power fails. Nice thing about planted tanks they have less "good" bacteria than non-planted. If the filter media isnt allowed to dry out it will loose less beni. bac. If you evacuate maybe remove it and secure it near the return of your filter. This way if the filter back siphons when the power dies, you will have a better chance of bacteria survival. The plants can survive a few days to weeks without light if they are healthy. Sometimes with healthy plants a "blackout" of a couple days will increase the growth rate. Yipe just re-read your original post. You just added them? Well I guess thats OK usually if there is a problem it takes a few days to a week for them to start dying off. If they do and start to rot that will add back Ammonia. The white stuff that sherry was speaking of is called Zeolite.

• woeisme
    18 years ago

Forgot to add Take care of yourself and Good Luck. Prayers are with you.

• james_ny
    18 years ago

They sell battery operated air pumps in most pet stores, probably too late to help you. Don't feed the fish. They can go a few days without eating. I lost power for 7 days due to an October Nor'easter and didn't lose a fish.

• moregirll8000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow thanks for the info! but good news is that the power didnt go out at all so all is well! thanks for the tips, I hope me along with others can use this information if the time comes. Thanks!

PS The hurricane is more like a tropical storm! haha

Sponsored