Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krikit_gw

New tank setup questions

krikit
14 years ago

Hello - my husband gave me a 30 gal tank for my birthday and before I set it up I have a few questions. I've been reading a book about aquariums and from that realize I have some decisions to make. One of those decisions is whether or not to plant with live plants. I'd very much like live plants if they're not too difficult. The setup he bought is very basic and the light is a single tube flourescent type so I'm not at all sure I can even have plants with that. I want them to do well - or just not have them at all. I have a couple of options for siting the tank in the room where it will be set up. The spot preferable to me is unfortunately in front of a window that gets late afternoon sun (but curtains could filter some of the light out) - the other possible location would get no sun. The book didn't go in to detail but did mention making use of natural light if you want to have plants, and that allowing algae to grow on the back side of your tank was not such a bad thing (IF I am understanding what I read). I've also been reading here about a snail that eat algae as a natural control.

So I suppose my first decision is about the plants and where to site the tank. I would appreciate any input or experiences you can share.

BTW - the fish I am interested in (from the book) are white clouds, gold barbs, rasboras, and dwarf gourami.

Thanks in advance,

Frances

Comments (3)