Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bettas, spawning, bubblenest

Posted by shellyfish (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 17:50

I recently purchased a m and f betta. They are the old-fashioned veil-tail, but I wanted to get aquanted with this process before I invested in show-quality breeding stock. My male is approaching the female and flaring at her, and she has the tell-tale vertical banding and is swimming head-down...but the male has not made a bubblenest and the female keeps running away. Why is he not building a nest? Is he just being aggressive when he flares, or is he ready to spawn? Am I not doing something right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bettas, spawning, bubblenest

Hi
Give him time and he eventually will build a nest.
Males will always flare at their own kind no matter the sex lol keep the water in the low eighties and give them lots of food .Live food is excellant but frozen will do.
i used a 10 gallon tank half full. kepthe female in a hurricane lamp shade. The glass kind that are open on both ends This way the male can always see but can't harm the female. This way when spawning time comes you can just lift the shade. be sure to remove her as soon as spawning is complete. After the fry become free swimming you can remove the male and begin filling the tank. Be sure to keep it covered to keep the air humid and warm.
The fry are very tiny and require microworms or infusoria for about a week.
gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here