Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfee_gw

Bulging goldfish, please help!

wolfee
14 years ago

We bought our house 2 and a half years ago and it came with a koi/fish pond...it's 8 X 12 feet, 3 - 4 feet deep, has a filter and a pump, two waterfalls, and we now have about 30 goldfish and one koi, fish were already here and we've seen 3 or 4 brand new baby fish each year. The previous owner told us the goldfish were 20 cent feeder fish from petsmart, they are all rather big now!

One goldfish started turning white last year...turned all white. I looked that up and it seemed sometimes they just do that! This spring this fish started to put on some weight... and now is absolutely bulging and I fear he/she will burst! Looks bigger every day! It shows no typical signs of dropsy, from what I have read, as there is no pinecone effect. Fish swims around just fine, acts hungry and active. Has turned a luminescent white/yellowish color, thought maybe it was a pearl scale fish since it has that pearl shiny look... but it started as a goldfish, turned white, now is huge...started getting fat in the spring. Left side is a bit bigger than the right but both are extremely swollen, looks like it's swallowed a couple golf balls.

Since we moved here, we've fed the fish some koi and goldfish pellets, two kinds, both float, both are eaten within a few minutes. Don't feed over the winter. Have introduced peas since reading they are good for the fish, they love them most of all. But the way this one fish is expanding ever day, I'm really worried it will burst and just don't know what to do about it. All other fish seem perfectly fine and the fat one swims right along with the rest of them. Any suggestions for me??

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting