Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rezan_gw

help on aquatic plants

rezan
16 years ago

Hi there,

I am interested to start a small aquarium plant which I can grow and harvest it for eating. I would also like to keep some small freshwater shrimp to help with the algae.

I would like something like this.

http://www.tropica.com/go.asp?article=577 (aqua cube) or

{{gwi:379077}}

or

{{gwi:379079}}

After some research, I decided to grow Limnophila aromatica (rice paddy herb)

I need to ask some questions:

1. Is this any easy plant to grow?

2. Any good aquatic/aquarium plant books for me to buy?

3. Any other aquarium plants that I can keep which are edible like he rice paddy herb?

4. How many hours of artifical light should the plant be given daily?

5. Any tips for new person to this hobby?

Comments (8)

• hosta_miser
    16 years ago

While there are several species of Limnophila that are cultured for aquarium use, Limno. aromatica is not usually found in aquarium stores. I have never seen it in over 30 years in the hobby, although I must qualify that by saying that I have not been looking for it either! I have found other Limno. sp. to require strong light, and they grow best when fertilized. CO2 injection helps too.

There are several good books on aquarium plants available. Among the better ones are:

1) Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock
    2) Aquarium Plants by Christel Kasselmann
    3) Aquarium Plants: The Practical Guide  by Pablo Tepoot

and if you want to start out a little more economically, these are good for the money:

4) A Fishkeeper's Guide to Aquarium Plants by Barry James (Tetra Press)
    5) Aquarium Plants Manual by Ines Scheurmann (Barron's Book)

As for advise for the beginner-you seem to be following the advice that I would give-read!

Hope this helps!

Joel

• rezan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks joel for your reply. I will try to get a book first.

do you know any more underwater aquarium plants which i can grow which are edible?

rez

• james_ny
    16 years ago

I would guess that most edible water plants would require much stronger light than normal tanks require. Maybe metal halide lamps. Some pond suppliers sell wild rice.

• rezan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks james.

I did not know wild rice could be grown underwater. I will try to get a book first before I go in to this edible aquatic plant.

If I grow wild rice or rice paddy herb, can i keep some algae eating shrimp like cherry shrimp?

• james_ny
    16 years ago

I would think so, but i've never tried it. This is a quote from my Scherer and sons [pond supplier in Northport, Long Island] catalog. Hardy shallow water and bog plants "wild rice [Zizani Aquatica] The importance of wild rice as a food for water fowl cannot be overemphasized" $1 each, 6 for $5. Not much of a description, they say to plant it 4" below water surface, I guess it may grow out of the water. It's a cool place with tons of water lillies, family owned since 1907. If Java fern were editible you could feed the whole town.

• rezan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks james. I will definitely look for wild rice . Anyway to make jave fern edible by making a hybrid wild rice and jave fern?

• botanical_bill
    16 years ago

I have about 4 aquarium plant books. The most useful that I bought is 'The Aquarium Plant Handbook' published by Oriental Aquarium. This book seems to be a catalog for a company in Sinapore. It was difficult for me to find. The book is set up alphabeticly by genus. Has temp, PH, easyness, water hardness, type of plant (creeping, erect...), where it is found, how its propagated, how much sunlight and forground-background plant listed for each one. I would guess the book has 400-500 plants listed.

If you have never grown aquarium plants I would start by growing anything to get practice. The rice should need to grow above and below the water so you will only be able to fill the aquarium halfway. The Limnophila aromatica is listed in the book above and it states it can grow above or below water and how its growth patterns are different.
    Anyway, I would start off with Ceratopteris siliquosa (water sprite)- This plant is easy to grow provided strong light. I would then advise that you grow any type of hygrowphilia.
    You could try Heteranthera zosterifolia (star grass). If you can grow this one then you are no longer a beginer, but no expert either. The whole trick on this on is the water softness.

As for your lighting. You can eaisly take a two bulb, 18" fixture and put in a electronic ballast and add two more bulbs for under $50. Ill try to do a write up on how that was done in the future.

Good luck.
    -Bill

• rezan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks bill,

Will try the easy ones first and then let everyone know.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County