Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
textilejo

A pleco question

textilejo
17 years ago

We have a good size pleco that has stopped cleaning his windows:-) I don't blame him I hate cleaning windows too but hey he is not getting fed if he doesn't work. We even stopped feeding him to make him work.

Finally we bought a new little pleco and boy did he go to town. Problem is now he's gone! We don't know where but he is not in the aquarium. No sign of him in the tank or on the floor.

Is it possible that the bigger pleco, heavens forbid ate him?

Comments (8)

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

Big fish eat little fish, and Pleco's, especially the so called "Common Pleco" as yours likely is; are NOT total vegetarians.

If starved for extra protein and offered something it COULD catch and eat, it probably did.

• socks
    17 years ago

Is there any place the little one could be hiding? Inside a decoration?

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

That's a possibility too, because when put into a tank with a big fish, a little fish's instinct is to hide.

Plecos can grab onto a surface and if frightened, won't let go unless literally pulled away by force. So if you do have anything in the tank the little one could hide in, even if you lifted it to check the tank, it may have been inside, and not about to let loose.

• textilejo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We have checked all the ornaments and under all the gravel so I think he must have become dinner for the big guy:-(

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss, but it's how Nature made things.

However, if you have a large, protein starved Pleco, it's not going to stop with one of it's smaller cousins in it's quest for what it's body is craving.

• woeisme
    17 years ago

Plecos don't really care what they get their suckers on. Most of the time they don't care. Most likely not intentional. I thought I had lost a fish more then once and found it at a later time thinking I've checked everywhere.

• jurziegurl
    17 years ago

We had an algae eater...kind of a cousin to the Pleco??...well, we decided to get 2...get the job done in 1/2 the time!...it didn't work out that way...little "al" had a big bite taken out of him...an unfortunate demise. A reliable pet shop owner told me that they are very territorial and will kill another...I hope it's not your case here, but seems nature will take it's ugly course. I think I have only seen tanks with one Pleco each...I have one now that is non-stop in his quest for cleanliness...we have 4 tanks and 2 have Plecos...each in a separate tank. :)

• skygee
    17 years ago

I have two plecos in one tank...

Both common type, although one is an albino. They spent their first 3 years in separate tanks, though - then when I took down a tank, I put them in the big one together. They finally seemed to have slowed down in growth. The albino (the older one) is about 10 inches long, the common one about 8 inches.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES