Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are fish always hungry?

Posted by christy2828 7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 19:27

This sounds like a stupid question, but my fish always seem hungry! I feed them once a day, the amount recommended on the container. They eat it in about 2 - 3 minutes. Yet, everytime I walk by the tank they swim up and seem to be begging for food. Does this mean that I am not feeding them enough, or frequently enough? Or is this just what fish do? Thanks :) Christy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are fish always hungry?

Hi Christy,
It's funny, but mine do the same. Even if I just want to look at them, they swim to the top thinking its eating time again!

o

Hi
That's what fish do . They quickly learn where the food comes from. lol You can feed 2-3 times a day in small amounts if you like but don't overfeed. You'll note that they lose interest almost as quickly as they feed.
As long as they're eating it all it's not too much. gary

o

Think of them as trained teenage boys!

o

they always think they are hungry , its your job to not overfeed them, as tempting as it is.

o

Yes, they all act like they haven't been fed in over a week! They all do that! Mine would feel my step vibrations and come to the glass even when I don't stop to look at them.

o

a resounding YES!!!

o

Okay that's good because I thought that I was kind of like abusing my fish because they spend 90% of the time when they're awake at the top waiting for food! I feel bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here