Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zebra Danios aggressive with Glofish help!

Posted by shesaidc2 none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 9:14

Hi all hoping someone can help.
We started a 20 gallon (24x16ish) tank about a month ago with 5 zebra danios, all went well, it cycled ect. We got back from a vacation and decided to start adding more fish. We had thought to add some Glofish (cause they look cool! and they are also Danios so they should help us get up to a schooling size). I got 2 red ones yesterday, we added them in and then this morning I noticed LOTS of aggressive behavior.

Before I would typically see 4 of the 5 swimming around happily with one hiding except for feeding time. This morning it seems like 2 of the zebras are being very aggressive with each other and all of the other fish. No one seems to be able to hid and be left alone and everyone it just swimming around either instigating or running away.

I have not tested the water since we returned (I will do that this afternoon). I did notice the two aggressive zebras seem to have reddish around the gills, so we will also probably to a water change for good measure.

The tank is fairly well planted, not super heavy but 6-9 plants, and a few places to hid lower down. I didn't think adding the Glofish would mess up the schooling since they are the same species. I was also thinking about adding green/orange this weekend when the store gets more in... I know to be careful about overloading the tank, but I thought it would be ok, maybe they are feeling stressed in the space :( Maybe they just need to settle in.... :(

Any help is much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zebra Danios aggressive with Glofish help!

glofish are zebras, and they usually chase each others around. If the tanks not too small or overcrowded they ususlly dont do any damage. Their non stop swimmers and peaceful with other fish. If no real damage is being done i wouldn't worry.

o
RE: Zebra Danios aggressive with Glofish help!

Thanks! I think it was first day jitters, they calmed down after a day and ate back to playful for aggressive. Also I think a bunch of the females may have been spawning as the females had big bellies and now they don't. It was the behavior change that worried me, but they are back to normal now. Thanks again :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here