Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Java fern turning brownish

Posted by dnordstr z3 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 05 at 10:49

Hello
Does anyone know why my java fern would be turning a dark red-ish brown colour (spotted all over the plant). I am new to aquarium plants. I got the java fern a few weeks ago from Petsmart and until the last week I only had a 20W light, but for the last week I have had 65W light (6700K) on in the tank for about 14 hours/day. I don't have any supplemental C02 and I have my hornwort in there from my pond. I can try to post a picture if that might help.
Thanks for anyone who might know! And special thanks to woeisme for his past and future help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Java fern turning brownish

A picture helps, if it is just the ends and minimal spots on the leaves , I think it is normal in a newly aquired java fern. It takes a while to "break in", at least IME. Doesn't "need" organic CO2 but it will speed growth. I selected a nice one with no brown spots, attached it to a piece of driftwood and put it in an isolation tank. After a week it browned, then greened up nice once more. The link below has good info on aquatic plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropica Aquatics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here