Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about guppies

Posted by beachplant 9b (beachplant@excite.com) on
Sun, Oct 15, 06 at 10:57

I recently acquired my friends guppies when she moved out of town. There are probably a couple hundred from tiny fry to preggo mammas. I put them in the pond & they love it. A lot more space than they had before.
How cold tolerant are they? the goldfish do fine in the winter but will the guppies need a heater? The pond is an old bathtub sunken in the garden.
I'm zone 9b, no hard freezes as a rule and if we do get any freezing weather it's usually only a couple of hours once or twice during the season, not enough to bring in the orchids even.
BUT it does get fairly cold, OK, for me, fairly cold, 50's average, some 40's and of course up to the 70-80 range.
There is a filter and pump in the pond.
Thanks tons!
Tally HO!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about guppies

Hi
I'm in Palm Beach county and have kept many species outdoors for many years. 40 degrees seem to fatal point for most types Angelfish are VERY cold sensitive.
Heaters don't work very well out doors you end up with hotspots. I cover with bubble wrap on the surface when temps drop below 40. Be sure to remove it the next day as the sun will quickly warm it up.
I suspect Guppies should do fine unless there is a freeze. gary

o
RE: Questions about guppies

Hello,
Goldfish are cold water fish, guppies can not tolerate the temperature fluctuations that gold fish can. There is a great web site that will give you information on any type of fish. It is a family oriented site and the people there are very knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck with all those guppies!

WWW.petfish.net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here