Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Distilled Water

Posted by pickeral Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 11:09

Any benefit or harm to using distilled water in my aquarium?Opinions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Distilled Water

Using distilled water as the basic medium is just fine. BUT I would also add to the distilled water an appropriate water conditioner that is related to the type of use that I have in mind for the aquarium. The link below is to one of several online retailers who sell water conditioners. Use the link to see the variety and the types of use that each is for so that you can find the one that is best for your plans on stocking the aquarium.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water conditioners

o

There have been times and places when bottled water sold as "Distilled Water" was just tap water. I found this out when working in a laboratory where I had water testing equipment and called them on it and they 'fessed up.

o

• Posted by hald Sunset 8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 23:21

Not a good idea IMHO. Animals and plants needs the nutrients that regular water contains. Also distilled water has no buffering capacity. When your fish expel waste the distilled water will have no ability to buffer the buildup of toxins. Your ph will likely spike into being very acidic and everything will die off.

o

Yes definitely a bad idea. There are also minerals that if not in solution will be drawn out of fish/animals particularly if this is a saltwater aquarium. Best to purchase an RO/DI filter for your water changes.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here