Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheart99

Stupid Walmart, i want to cry

Cheart99
19 years ago

I hate my walmart even more now than i did before. The first reason was that they carry no mediaction for bettas at all. NOw i went today to look at the bettas and i found 3 dead in their small little containers. I even had to point it out to the lady working there. Then to add insult to injury i asked her if they ever brought in female bettas and she said they used to but they are "not very hardy". "they die to quickly". I didnt think that female bettas died easly

Anyway i left im am fumming.

Comments (71)

• comettose
    19 years ago

If people would stop buying Betta and the torture tanks they sell for them, then stores will stop selling them.

• bagpiper8
    19 years ago

amen.

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the mystery goo they've been putting in the betta cups recently is? Not just Wally's either..

My best guess is mg but I'm not sure....

Adrea

• beebop7
    19 years ago

I agree with the previous posts....Walleyworld can afford to continue to purchase these fish(even if they lose 50%) because people will still buy them...I must admit that is where I purchase my fish because it is the only supplier that is local for me and is within my budget.I do my best to pick the healthiest in the tank and I have learned(the hard way) to keep an assortment of medications on hand should they show sings if illness after I get them home.I have puchased 1 Koi, 4 fancy tailed goldfish, 1 shubunkin(I picked him because he had a deformed tail fin and I knew he would die there...he did get a sore on him but after 2 wks in a hospital tank..he's doing great)2 fan tail goldfish,3 algae eaters, 1 plecostimus(had 2 but 1 did die after I got him home)The rest are thriving and getting very big....I don't condone their practices but until they are in a position that they are no longer making money off of these poor fish...they'll continue...same old same old...No offense to any of you who may be breaders but...as long as creatures can be mass produced for profit..whether it be fish, dogs,ect....they will continue to do it...it's the nature of the beast.

• MANGO_FISH
    19 years ago

We have a petsmart near us! (england) and they treat there fish appawlingly! I called the RSPCA on them. There were dead fish floating in almost all the tanks. They were overcrowded. Some had fin rot. Others had Ick. I got 3 fish from them ages ago, 2 survived. The one that died had Velvet! I dont see how these stores are allowed to keep selling these poor animals! It makes me feel sick :(

• imaginators
    19 years ago

I sure if there enough complaints, most Walmart will probably stop selling fish.

• isis_nebthet
    19 years ago

I think petsmart either has a real bad fish department or a pretty good one...I know the last one I was in was decent not a floater or sinker in sight. In the other direction I don't think it's as good being my boyfreind bought a violet goby sticking it's head out of a cloudy tank (I wasn't with him but would assume it was not a neat store). Needless to say, he didn't make it 24 hours. I got a pair at the one with the better tanks and they acclimated well and are doing good.

Adrea

• breezyb
    19 years ago

I also have to say that I think whoever is in charge of fish management at either WalMart, Petco, or PetSmart is more in control of the quality of the department - regardless of whether that's right or not.

I've been in WalMarts where the fish actually looked quite good. And as far as PetCo & PetSmart - we have some in the area with FABULOUS fish departments, & others with sad ones.

It's a shame that management can't just standardize the care & follow up on it.

• daylilyluver
    19 years ago

Chain stores are chain stores and whatever they sell, food, clothing, fish. Conditions vary from store to store and are based on the lots purchased and the employees and mgmt of the stores. What one store manager says is ok to sell, another might not feel the same way.

The local Walmart near me had some very pretty guppies today and they looked healthy but I don't want to take a chance. The sink and adjacent area was dirty and gross.

• naturelover_mtl
    19 years ago

Actually, it's not only Walmart, it's everywhere. When we first bought our two aquariums for our home, my husband and I went to one of the better 'fish supply' experts here. It was horrible. I couldn't believe my eyes. First of all, the store stank, which automatically told me they didn't take good care of things, and I found too many dead fish in tanks. The Bettas were my biggest heartache; stuck in their tiny little containers. Every time I see that, I want to take them all home with me... So, it's everywhere folks, even in the expert 'fish'/'pet' stores. It's all about profit, not about concern over living things. It's not only Walmart, it's everywhere and in all kinds of retail shops.

• lexie1397
    19 years ago

Not ALL fish suppliers are evil...
    We have an aquarium shop locally that is very conciencious of the way their fish feel. While they do keep bettas in the little cups, the have a tank below with the females, and they rotate the males in and out so that every day or two they get a while in a full size tank with plenty of "ladies" to enjoy!!

I think the reason that most places can get away with mistreatment of fish is because the general populus says, "It's just a fish!" They do not see it as a life, they see it as a toy. Before we can fix the fish suppliers, we have to get the general public to care. Good luck on that one. I guess the best thing we can do is talk with the managers and such of our local stores, and rally our friends. Without public support we caring idnividuals look like flaming fish lovers!!!

• beebop7
    19 years ago

Amen!I get that "animal lover" look a lot...I'm thankful I've never been within hearing range of anyone making those kinds of remarks or ever witnessed anyone abusing any creature....I'm afraid I'd "lose it".But I have realized that in our 'own spaces' one might be able to wield some influence but.....to see real reform public opinion must be changed and that would take numbers more than are speaking out now....we are greatly out numbered..for now...I am still holding on to hope with these newer generations....OH does anyone have any local chapters of PETA in your area..and if so have you contacted them about these pet retailers?

• ipomeatricolor420
    19 years ago

One bizarre thing about walmart, at college last year my room mate kept some to fight, he was kinda deranged, anyway in a fit of drunken rage one night he poured a bottle of vodka in the bowl and he put the poor beta's tattered body in one of my pepper bushes and left it for like two weeks until it was mummified and then brought it back to walmart for a free replacement, and they took it!

• kirap
    19 years ago

Thats the norm for Wally World. With as bad of shape as their fish are in half dead, 3/4 dead, dead, fungus infected etc etc, they could not tell it from one that was just sold a day ago or a month ago........they all look about the same.

• james_ny
    19 years ago

I wonder how many fish most of us have killed by lazyness, ignorance or convenience?

• oceanbubbles
    19 years ago

Wow.. that college friend of yours is a huge ***hole. Sounds like he needs some help. If that were my friend, I would have (first of all) Taken the betta out immediatly after he poured the booze in.. and second.. probably knocked him out. haha

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Well, a brand new PetCo just opened up this week about 20 minutes from me. I was excited at first, mostly because it will save me about 90 minutes roundtrip from the next closest one in order to get feed supplies for my cockatoo, cats, dogs, as well as frozen food for my fish.

I was also hopeful that they might have as good a fish department as the older PetCo that is further away. No such luck. How one PetCo can have such nice-looking fish nearly all the time, & this one that just opened can have such sad-looking fish (dead, droopy-fins, fungus - you name it). And they just got the fish in, like, 4-5 days ago. In fact, while I was there browsing today, one guy came in bearing a dead fish & asked for (& received) a free replacement. Said he bought it last night & it was dead this morning. No surprise from the look of the other inhabitants.

I had wanted to replace some platies, & they did have a nice selection of varieties - all in their own separate tanks - Mickey Mouse, Red WagTail, TwinBar, Sunset - you name it. Yet I couldn't find one single tank where all of the inhabitants looked remotely healthy. And this with no more than 8-10 fish per tank.

Very sad.

• AshleyNicole
    18 years ago

one of my best friends just got promoted to "Manager" of the pet department at Walmart, I have had a freshwater tank since i was 12 and know way more about fish than he does. Of course he's learning hte names of the fish, compatibility, etc. but he has no clue about cycling, filtration, amonia levels, ANYTHING. Basically, walmart hires anybody with any sense and lets them run the departments. weather they know anything about it or NOT. He reads the labels and answers the questions according to that.

• isis_nebthet
    18 years ago

lazyness: 3 goldfish in a bathtub all the water evaporated...

ignorance: 24 of 30 koi in a 200 gallon pond (insisting as long as the filter keeps up it's okay). Small fish confusing columnaris for true fungus and just perplexed that the malachite wasn't working. Fish not dead but still ignorant not enough hiding spots in the little tank one bichir missing the end of his fins being chewed off by the other bichir of like size.

Convenience: I don't see where it would be convenient to kill a fish...

Adrea

• batboy
    18 years ago

the petsmart my my house has relly good fish and I hard le ever see a dead fish

• GuppyGuppy
    18 years ago

I guess I am lucky that my local Petsmart has a beautiful fish area. The staff are friendly and know what they are talking about too. I absolutley hate Wal-Mart and will not shop there. I used to hate it and still shop there because they are cheap..but I have since changed my mind. I'd rather pay a few pennies more at a better store than support the madness that is Wal-Mart.

• moregirll8000
    18 years ago

I was in a Walmart a few weeks ago and I thought I would treat my betta (Shasta) to some yummy freeze dried blood worms and the like. I didn't see them on the shelf so I asked the person in the fish department if they had any. She looked at me like I was talking about aleins! She asked dumb questions like: Are they alive? Do they live in a fish tank? Are they fish shaped? I was about to burst out laughing by her ignorance! I mean gosh! The name is self explanitory. As for the Petsmart and Petco by my house, all their fish departments are great! And they don't stack their bettas either!
    Morgan

• GuppyGuppy
    18 years ago

I ran into the same problem with staff at Walmart. So ridiculous!! How can you not know what blood worms are and work around fish?

• Rasnt5
    18 years ago

This is what i wrote to the Walmart Fact's web site. also mailed it to the area wal*mart stores. Thanks For helping me set up my tanks. Ken

My name is kenneth and i am a FREQUENT shoper at Wal*mart. i love the prices and the product's services and so forth that i recieve. but i have many complaints about my area wal*mart's i live around. Goshen Indiana Both of them. Sturgis Michigan. Every time i go in i visit the pet department. as i have two dog's a cat and quite a bit of fish. i have a 100 gallon tank and three 50 gallon tanks. i spend a-lot of money at your stores for my fish. I am sorry to say but i will no longer be doing this as i came accrost a web page about fish and Even had one of you employee's in Sturgis say I would not buy your fish here they dont take care of them and they die to fast. Ill get her name if you want me to. but here is a web page you all must visit. this letter will be sent out to the one's that i visit as well. thanks ken http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/aquarium/msg1013172812705.html?46

• grice
    18 years ago

Good show Kenneth/Rasnt5 for standing up and being heard!! Instead of suffering in silence or just ranting 'aimlessly' you did what I have been suggesting for awhile,make noise .
    Whether Walmart or another store,conditions will not improve until consumers rattle the corporate collective cages!!
    Grice

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

locating a local pet shop is best bet for getting the supplies you need,
    locating ur local aquarium store is better.
    walmart is a good place to buy cheap feeders.

• ILuvGinger
    18 years ago

I didn't read this whole thread becuase it's super long but I went to Walmart a couple of weeks ago in Upstate NY. They had two male bettas in one of those little things that they keep them in.

The stupid little guys were fighting but I didn't see any damage... yet. So I went looking around for some one and any ways, I don't think the people there would have understood me due to lack of intelligence, not caring or because they just don't all speak English.

Any ways, I seperated them myself. I can only hope they didn't put them back together but I just know they'll keep doing it.

• Ezzy1986
    18 years ago

the other day i went into a local petstore (we don't have walmart) and there was a dead betta (bloated and floating)
    I pointed it out and the shopkeeper rudely told me that they are professionals and the fish is just resting....
    maybe the better is betta off?

• drygulch
    18 years ago

That's hilarious! How many resting fish have I thoughtlessly buried in the garden over the years, thinking that they were actually dead?

• ILuvGinger
    18 years ago

Lol. Or flushed? I know they're just waiting down there planning their revenge.

• glad2garden
    18 years ago

It must be the management of Walmart because the fish departments vary a LOT from store to store. I counted 17 dead fish in 2 tanks in the Springfield store, and the dirtiest tanks I had ever seen in my whole life. But not far away in Chicopee, that Walmart has the cleanest, best kept tanks that I have ever seen in my whole life! No kidding!

• fishdude
    17 years ago

The fish in WalMart are double whammied. First by the lack of attention by management. Then by the little hands that have no adult supervision. I agree dept managers are picked on the basis of, really you will watch over the pet dept. Great you got the job. There is no formal training given. The amount of time it would take to keep the tanks up on a daily basis is really minimal. However, these managers are thrown into the department and are constantly pulled out to go work somewhere else. By constantly rotating employees around the store WM is able to keep them confused, all the better to screw them. As far as the bettas there is a ring of small holes around the lid so that they CAN be stacked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Siamese_Fighting_Fish

• brianstreehouse
    17 years ago

I do not mean to offend, but I know this comment will irk some of you. If you purchase a betta at WalMart, you have not "rescued" anything; you have made a purchase, plain and simple. You have sent a message to WalMart saying that there is a demand for this product. That is how they decide to order more. Taking home 12 is not a rescue mission, it is saying that there is a new fad. They will replace every fish you purchase with another--hence your rescue mission is rather futile. As to the comment about the female bettas, they simply do not move as quickly off the shelves. As such, many die waiting for a new home without the best care in the stores. Once again, supply and demand. If you want to help, communicate with management. Educate the employees who have responsibility for the care of the creatures, and vote with your dollars wisely.

Brian

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't buy fish from a department store or a chain like Petsmart, because their specialty generally isn't the fish. Find a place that specializes in tropical fish and you will have an owner who knows how to take care of them.

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

The days of the independent pet shops are numbered. Speaking from experience, I endured 4 years after a chain moved in about 6 blocks from my store. All my customers promised their continued support, but on the day that store opened, I had one of the worse days I ever had. When I went down to look around I noticed 2 things, my LOYAL CUSTOMERS, and CUT THROAT PRICING. They were selling filter cartdriges I was paying 79 cents for for 99 cents, and not on sale. They selected key items that we know people don't like to keep replacing and sold them just above cost. Like I said, I fought the battle 4 years, and it was one I could not win. Some of my LOYAL CUSTOMERS came back, too many didn't. Think twice before BUYING ANYTHING pet related in a CHAIN or DISCOUNT store. I would not purchase anything from any of the Pet Store Chains, but is sure is fun to borrow my buddies Great Dane, take him in to those stores and let him lift his leg anywhere he likes. We go to the store that opened near mine once a week, and I never purchase anything. WHY EVEN BOTHER TO LOOK AT THE FISH IN WALMART, would you go to a butcher for a hair cut? Oh and BTW after I closed those filter cartridges went up to $1.99, PRICING ERROR....NOT!

• jen789
    17 years ago

Me and my brother just bought betta fish from walmart, and now I discovered that they have fungus! And once I went into walmart and there was a dead betta in water that was black. Yes, black. Black. And of the 15 bettas there, only 4 were alive, and they were dying. None had any bubble nests.

• andrewks97_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have been Hired at Wal-Mart for 1 year. I have received MANY compliments from the people about the Fish. I decided I'd apply to save these Fish. I am at the Bismarck, North Dakota Walmart, Currently. I am well-educated about Fish Keeping. I have Re-Arranged some Fish that Weren't Compatible, And I was the FIRST WORKER to put the RIGHT filter in! I treat these Fishies like My OWN! I Love Them! I also Help with the Tanks, Decor, Most Importantly the Daily Watch and Feeding. I am glad I got this job, now These Fishies have a safe home. Also, I have spoken with the manager, And he has agreed to have a minimal amount of fish. We have 3 Koi. in a 30 gallon tank. That is my average goal. I was, However not allowed to Do ANYTHING with the Comet Goldfish :( I have over 50 in a ten gallon. And I know first hand about this "Saving the Fish" Crap. For every fish sold, I am to Mark it for how many Are to be shipped. The goldfish now have a seperate Water filter, so do all the different Cichlids. That is all I could do. The Bettas, Are in 1/4 gallon Cups, and I change water daily. I also give them Oxygen for 1/2 hr. a Day. That is More then they may ever get in their Life. So that is sufficient for Wal-mart, Not for Me. I am not a "Walmart Fanboy". But I at least have Enough Confidence to Tell someone NOT TO BUY THERE FISH. I am sick of Wal-Marts Fish areas. Once again, That is why I got this Job. To "Up the Appearance in Bismarck's South Wal-Mart.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

My spouse got five beautiful koi yearlings from WalMart for $1.25. They were labeled ''feeder fish''. Never underestimate what you can find as an informed purchaser at places like WalMart.

• mstoltz25_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Folks, if you keep rescuing bettas from Walmart, they are going to keep restocking them. I know you feel bad, but STOP SPENDING YOUR MONEY THERE. If you feel so bad, then report them but don't support their bad behavior. That is the worst thing you can do.

• tammypie
    12 years ago

If you are going to purchase a betta instead of going thru aquabid (the preferred place to buy quality bettas), at least get your bettas from PetSmart. I have a huge girl that I purchased from there over a year ago and she is still going strong. I got my other girl and boy from there too, they are very healthy and beautiful.

• burtreynoldswrap
    11 years ago

The wal-mart in my town doesn't know the difference between their fish. You can by beautiful butterfly koi for the same price as regular koi ($5.50 here).

• gottalovefish
    11 years ago

If it really upsets you that much get picture evidence an look into it a fish may not be an animal but my fish are part of my life they are like a snake or a bird or a cat or a dog to me take it up with the manager with your local Walmart contact your local aspca an see if thy can do anything about it.. they think about dogs being stacked in cages on top of eachother as crule what's the difference its crule an in humane against another living creature and as for bettas there tiny space think of it as a being crammed into a closet with out food and air running out bring it you your Walmarts attention that what there doing is crule and inhumane contact your local newspaper

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

The PetCo in my area is a joke. I just wanna smash my car through the front wall and start releasing animals! However, I must admit, I have TWO local PetSMARTs, the farthest one from me is a 15-minute drive, and each of their tropical fish/aquaria departments are SHOCKINGLY clean. The vast majority of their tank stock, typically, looks great. I had a young woman initially refuse to sell me 2 Clown Loaches, because my tank at home had a 4 Silver Dollars in it, and by store rules, she cant allow me to put these fish in together. A manager heard this, and was evidently experienced with aquaria, and told her that the "semi-aggressive" label was a guideline, basically so they wont sell a Jack Dempsey or Tinfoil Barbs with a school of Neon Tetras, or whatever. Again, I was shocked by all this competence coming from someone who worked there! The girl wasn't stupid, she just got put in a dept. where she knows jack-squat about the merchandise, and the manager had the exp to tell her a few details about those "Fish tags" they have for diff. species. So I expect sometime in the near-future they'll change all the employees out, and these 2 stores will be a pile of crap, just like almost every other PetSmart, PetCo, Auschwitz Pets, Adolf's Fish Supply, Red Lobster, whatever, etc.
    Thanks,
    Don B.
    Westminster, CO.
    P.S. WalMart? WALMART?? Go to a muddy ditch with a net and try and catch minnows, better than going to WalMart for ANYthing! &%$# WalMart!

Good day.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

The PetCo in my area is a joke. I just wanna smash my car through the front wall and start releasing animals! However, I must admit, I have TWO local PetSMARTs, the farthest one from me is a 15-minute drive, and each of their tropical fish/aquaria departments are SHOCKINGLY clean. The vast majority of their tank stock, typically, looks great. I had a young woman initially refuse to sell me 2 Clown Loaches, because my tank at home had a 4 Silver Dollars in it, and by store rules, she cant allow me to put these fish in together. A manager heard this, and was evidently experienced with aquaria, and told her that the "semi-aggressive" label was a guideline, basically so they wont sell a Jack Dempsey or Tinfoil Barbs with a school of Neon Tetras, or whatever. Again, I was shocked by all this competence coming from someone who worked there! The girl wasn't stupid, she just got put in a dept. where she knows jack-squat about the merchandise, and the manager had the exp to tell her a few details about those "Fish tags" they have for diff. species. So I expect sometime in the near-future they'll change all the employees out, and these 2 stores will be a pile of crap, just like almost every other PetSmart, PetCo, Auschwitz Pets, Adolf's Trpoicals, etc.
    Thanks,
    Don B.
    Westminster, CO.
    P.S. WalMart? WALMART?? Go to a muddy ditch with a net and try and catch minnows, better than going to WalMart for ANYthing! &%$# WalMart!

Good day.

• tammypie
    11 years ago

Get your bettas from PetSmart. I bought a girl betta from them. Their bettas are very healthy, vibrant and active:

{{gwi:379369}}

• Ttarr2008
    10 years ago

ruby came from petsmart this time but my others have all came from walmart in the past. the first one i bought in pa had dirty water and they didn't even have enough water in the container it was about a half inch of water that was dirty that is all. that one died sadly because of the moving to pa and back to nm am staying put for now and don't plan on moving anytime soon because it is so hard on my animals ruby included. the ones at petsmart were in clean containers with nice big holes at the top so that they could breath better. i hate seeing them in really small containers. mine was so happy to get into the 2 gallon round tank that i put him in with the snail i had(he has since died and left ruby all alone) picked up a ten gallon tank at a garage sale for 5 dollars hood and all then i set it up properly for my betta and now he is very happy in the ten gallon with plastic plants and decor for him to hide in plus one corner of free space for swimming. i take him out and put him in a vase and completely clean out his tank with hot water everyother week. i rinse his plants and decor in the dirty tank water first before i empty the tank so as not harm the good bacteria that has built up to keep the tank stable. he is doing very well have had him for almost a year now. i love him to death. and yes i really do feel sorry for the fish at walmart. i wish there was some way to get the stores to start promoting the bigger the better on the tanks when someone buys a betta. i think if they promoted bigger better tank sizes for the betta when someone buys one then they would actually make more money because the bigger setups cost more than the bowls and vases and people then would have to buy gravel and food and decor and such and they would actually make more money that way. but they don't do that probably because they are lazy and don't care. if they did then at least the bettas would have a better chance of going home to a nice big proper size tank to have a better life than they do at the store.

• Corgikarma
    10 years ago

So don't spend a penny at WalMart. They're only in business because people shop there (not me)

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

You know people... Many of you say 'there were dead fish' 'tanks were filthy' etc yet you 'saved' a fish. So you bought it! Poor thing died and you went back for replacement. WM does sell dying fish because someone buys them! No matter how they suffer, you must harden your hearts and walk away. That is the only way to stop them.

• RocksAndRoses
    9 years ago

I am thinking of starting an aquarium, but want to start with the plants. I have the tank and was looking at the filters at Walmart because they have the best prices on filters. For what it is worth, the fish at the Lehighton, PA Walmart look better than the fish at the local pet store chains. Some Walmarts are run better than others. The Walmart is Stroudsburg, PA is a disgrace. It used to be fine, but it has become a disaster. The stores are unstocked and the employees are perpetually on break. The bathrooms aren't even clean. The Lehighton Walmart has none of these problems.

I love the angel fish at a local specialty store, but they are very expensive. I would want to be sure the tank is established and healthy before considering such a purchase.

The fish looked very healthy at this Walmart. I was surprised to see the gmo glow in the dark ones. I read an article in a scientific magazine a while ago about them. I am such a hypocrite. I avoid planting gmo seeds but am considering gmo fish. Of course, I wouldn't eat the fish...

Walmart didn't have any aquarium plants.

I would never buy a dog or cat from a pet store or chain. I would buy direct from a reputable breeder or rescue them. I am new to fish, but it may be a similar situation.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer