Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherryazure

Corys with sunken belly. Diamond Tetra question.

sherryazure
16 years ago

Corries with sunken belly again.

As with some prior these were not in contact with Gourami that might have fish TB. He is still alive with crooked spine, priscilla and black neon tetras. All are fine now.

I was changing out the Diamond Tetras as they were swimming in circles - up down all around the tank, but chasing each other around (others in tank prior were not) and decided to put them in 20 long to see if they had more room to swim. (they tend to spend a lot of time in current of filter up and around and noticed with strong water flow of diaton filter they stuck their heads right in to strong current and just swam with it until I took it out later.

They seemed to like swimming in the current. (moved from 20 regular to 20 long and in school of red eyed blue columbian tetras. (if thats the name, blue bodie, red trim on all fins.) And three lemon tetras.

Two filters but extra under water pump at one end to create mild 'river' flow solved the 'problem' for a day but now school is swimming at other end in other filter current, as if playing tag.

At some point the placid (until feeding time) columbian tetras join in and the tank is a buzz until they go back to hovering, but diamond tetras continue this swimming behavior. I read somewhere that this can be indicative of something wrong but all are healthy (save for two males who nip each others fins) and I've had them for about 6 months or more now. ?? Or do they just like to play with current?

These (Diamond Tetras) fish turned out to be a bit agressive, and I noticed them going after fish food at night for cories.

When I broke down the 20 regular, I took the cories out and noticed they had nipped fins, and put them in hospital tank. It was hard to see this in wooded planted 20 tank.

Later I noticed blood streaks near fins, under the belly.

I put one down as he had a lot of this septimia and his spine was a bit twisted and he looked the worse and from my own experience hard to treat. (did treat for two weeks first though)

Now the other two - I took them out to spot treat for fin rot with h2O2 (works great if you know how to use and make sure not on gills ever - I dilute as well)... and noticed with horror that his her belly was sunken in drastically.

Then when I put them back, as the tank was bare bottomed I could see their underbelly reflected in the glass at the bottom.

Both are sunken in. Drastically and caved in look. Like sucker punched in the stomach. Previous posts mentioned other cories in another tank found dead one by one with stomach cavity gutted (even when I put one in hospital tank to let die in peace his stomach was empty as I cut it open right after he passed... like that alien movie!)

Aquarium Pharamecuticals mentioned the Fish TB and a possible med is almost 100 bucks - and not even a definate cure and esp at such a late stage - seems fine then whap!

I am feeding them with treated food - antibacterial, antiparasite.

Not sure, why this has happened to many of my cories. All the others WERE exposed to the maybe tb gourami but I don't think these unless I moved a plant (washed but who knows).

Could they have starved to death (near) with tetras going after their food? Or disease? Stress, not enough food and then disease sets in? Or sick from beginning. (hadn't had them for long). And local store fish are often sick and dead. (I have not added fish in over 6 months now and will not in future)

They are swimming around, eating so far. We shall see.

Or should I put them down if they are suffering ie starving to death even though it seems they are eating? I read late last night with re to plecs that once sunken in stomach maybe too late?

Thanks for any help. Best Sherry

They were in a 20 regular tank with 6 diamond tetras, wood and lots of plants. 2 outside filters, weekly water changes, one filter cleaned and changed each week.

Water quality fine except as usual ph is a bit high, 7.8 depending on water changes.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus