Return to the Aquariums Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Fish?

Posted by newbettaowner Pa (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 31, 05 at 16:05

I have a betta and it has been about 3 months from the purchase date. He recently can not keep his food down. I feed him small pellets normally and he will eat one and spit it back out. I then thought that maybe right now he just can't swallow somthing that hard. A little later I fed him a blood worm (thinking that since it is soft it will go down easier) he eats it and spits it right out again. I then tried feeding him fish flakes and the same thing happened. He also is not as active as he was before. He now just lays on the bottom and periodically come up for air. I changed the water because of all the uneaten food. What is wrong with my fish?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Fish?

Is he slightly "bent" looking? Is he emaciated? Go to www.about.com and search freshwater fish disease to help isolate.

o

Try some live brine shrimp, my betta's love them. Probably not a long term solution but may get him back on track.

o

Is this a heated aquarium or a small aquarium or bowl? I see you live in PA. The cool weather in an unheated aquarium will make fish lathargic and slow metabolism. This would make him lay at the bottom and be uninterested in eating also.

o

He is in about a gallon bowl. It is not heated but the room temperature is a constant 73 degrees (thinking that the water temp would be the same). I was told by a friend that fish do get weird when the barametric pressure drops. Is that true?

o

• Posted by KarlZ8 7b eastern NC (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 1, 05 at 13:38

Newbettaowner-
Bettas hail from southeast asia and prefer a temp closer to 80 degress. His lethargy and poor appetite is related to water temp as woeisme mentioned. Continue trying a variety of foods, he was likely raised on something other than what you are providing. Frozen adult brine shrimp or frozen beef heart would be a good alternative to live brine (don't want to spoil him). BTW, bettas have a normally short life span ~2 yrs. You may have an old one! Barometric pressure plays a role in fish behavoir/spawning- doubt this is his problem.

o

Thanks for all your help. He is slowly starting to eat the food i provide him. I have no doubt that he will be better. Thanks again.

o

Room temp and water temp will vary. Just like if you leave a glass of water out. In the winter it will stay cold or be colder than the room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aquariums Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here